"Expression Contains A Tag That Has An Error Value" Please Help

dfedder

Hello Everyone,

First time poster here. I have run into a problem with testing my HMI program.
(I'm using FactoryTalk View Studio ME Edition. Whenever I create a runtime I must save it as Runtime 9.0)

The problem is I have this "Expression Contains A Tag That Has An Error Value" error pop up when testing. For some context I have setup multi-state indicators to show different states depending on different inputs or outputs being on.

For example:
If {[MLD07]I:1.1/6} == 0 Then 1
Else If {[MLD07]I:1.1/0} == 0 Then 2
Else If {[MLD07]I:1.1/2} == 1 Then 3
Else If {[MLD07]I:1.0/12} == 1 then 4
Else 0

Throughout the program I have made countless of these multi-state indicators and only one does not display the "error" state and works properly.

The thing that is troubling is that the same expression I used above follows the same exact formatting as the one that's working. Also the controls I have set to control my certain machine are working so there is communication.

For my purposes for this program I must swap a SLC5/04 for a SLC5/05. The new SLC 5/05 is set to the same IP as the previous SLC5/04 but I was instructed NOT to connect it to the network. Rather I directly connect it to the Panelview Plus 7 Standard HMI screen via ethernet for testing before implementation.

Now I'm not very familiar with all the ins and outs of factory talk linx server. Could this be a network issue do to me not being directly connected to our network? I'm not sure if factory talk linx server is touchy, or as long as it's the same IP you set and want for a controller it should work if not directly connected to the network.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thank you!

Last edited:
That would do it... any reference that has a colon in it (such as I:1.1/6) requires a double colon before the shortcut name, exactly as you say. So the final reference would become {::[MLD07]I:1.1/6}.

Also, if at all possible, I would recommend performing this logic in the PLC and keeping the HMI indication to a single reference. Usually I'm working in Logix5000 systems though, so a few more rungs and the associated memory are tolerable.