High Speed Counter to measure Length

danielplcsnet

Hello to all,

I don't have to much experience in the PLC. I'm using the Studio 5000 v32.03

We are trying to measure the length of a product, in the past was installed and configured a HSC card, the original program was made in PLC 5, there are some things we need to do.

- Change the resolution, I understand that the value of 4095 was set due the bits PLC 5 could support, what is the new value I should put on. Is there any reading that explains how can I do this change?Current Scaling
- Do you have some code examples, procedures or good readings that could help me to understand how I can do this length measurement using the encoder, I don't want to only copy a code made previously.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Regards!

HSC Card Config.jpg

What is your physical setup like? What components are you using? Do you have the old code, as well as any drawings?

I'm using this manual: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um007_-en-p.pdf

The output configuration is not for the actual resolution. This is the counter's in-built/onboard output which turns on faster than the a comparable PLC output, as the communication overhead to the PLC and Back is ignored.

Appendix B: Data Structures lists the minimum/maximum value your HSC will report. The pulse count it receives comes from the encoder/pulsating device itself, then the totalizer will give you a value based on your configuration.

Help us help you, give us the data!

Like what has been posted, the presets for turning high speed outputs is not what you need, you need to find out how many pulses per mm/inch/foot what ever your measurement is In most of the civilised world we work in mm or parts thereof, I doubt you need to change the "Scaling" as such unless you are replacing the encoders. if not then the number of pulses will be the same.
Not knowing your system but it appears to be that there will be a sensor that triggers the measurement, this should reset the count, start the count, when the sensor goes off i.e. the product has past then the accumulated counts will be the length, all you need to do is then divide the pulses by a factor (for example if there are 10 pulses per mm then divide the total count by 10 that would give you the length in mm) if you wanted it in cm then divide by 100) it's just simple maths.

... it's just simple maths.

I have worked with engineers, and seen many PLC programs that must be by the same type, where that statement would be offensive and they would try to get you dismissed.

They are there to program results for complicated and involved tasks that require sections of code that take months to complete. Using simple maths in one rung that can be done in 2 minutes is engineering sacrilege.