Kinetix 5500 Control Mode

chawkey

Hello,

Searched the forum and found this old post in regards to dynamically setting the control mode of a Kinetix CIP AXIS drive in the PLC.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=92181&highlight=ssv+controlmode

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be working for me. I have access to the ControlMode attribute on the axis, but doing a SSV with a value of 1 (to switch to position control) does nothing. Issued the MSF before-hand as well.

Any thoughts on what might be occurring here?

Thanks in advance

I've used this method before with a Kinetix 5500 to switch between position control (ControlMode = 1) and velocity control (ControlMode = 2), with an adjustable torque limit applied during the velocity control mode. This required checking that the TorqueLimitPositive and TorqueLimitNegative be written as cyclic parameters so that during velocity mode different values could be written to those limits from what was needed during position control.

Generally, the mode changed worked like this:

MSF on axis.
Wait for servo action status and ConfigUpdateInProcess to be false.
SSV the ControlMode tag
Wait for GSV on ControlMode tag to return the written value and for ConfigUpdateInProcess to be false
MSO on axis
Wait for servo action status to be true
Axis ready for use

The performance was tolerable but not great in the application where I used this.

Edit: To be clear, on the General tab, you will need the Axis Configuration set to Position Loop and can then use this method to "degrade" the axis to Velocity Loop at runtime, then back to Position Loop. But if you don't start out in Position Loop I'm not sure if this will work.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head.
I was setup on the AXIS for velocity loops.
Since half the time I will need to be doing SLAT control.
So I had to put it in position loop in order to downgrade the control via SSV just as you mentioned.

Thanks!