Micro 850 "E" Implicit Messaging Kinetix 5100

lurby

There is a new Micro 850E that allows you to do implicit messaging to a Kinetix 5100 servo and a Powerflex 525. I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do it though. I am also at a disadvantage because I have never used implicit messaging or even Logix 5000 before. I am fluent in the Micrologix family and RSLogix500 (not that it is doing me much good anymore!)

The Kinetix 5100 manual describes how to set it up in Logix 5000 and I tried to follow along but nothing seems to match up.

Instead of using add-on instructions you use UDFB's. I have downloaded the UDFB's and set up the modules but now I am stuck. I don't know how to connect them all. There is no assembly instruction UDFB.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks, Chuck

You're in luck, I just went through this to test it out for my company and wrote something up for my group. My first advice is to read chapter 8 of this manual 2080-UM002. It walks you through it.
Learnings:
Micro850 and Micro 870 PLCs can both do Explicit messaging, over ethernet, but only the newer Micro850(2080-L50E) and Micro870(2080-L70E) can do Implicit messaging to ethernet devices. Implicit allows us to easily communicate with PowerFlex 525 drives. Both of these Micro800 PLCs (2080-LX0E) can control a maximum of 8x PowerFlex525 drives. They need to have the E in the part number, use firmware version 21.011 or later, and Connected Components Workbench version 21 or later.
How to Add PowerFlex 525 drives to a Micro 800- PLC program: In Chapter 8 of 2080-UM002 there are a couple pages describing this process. The short version is to open the Controller in the PLC program and go to Ethernet>Modules and add each drive that you want to control, including the IP Address, rev number, voltage, and power rating.
User Defined Function Block: This will make your life a lot easier and is referenced in the users manual. Go to the Product Compatibility Download Center and download the “PowerFlex52x UDFB Library” and import that into your PLC program. This will add the function blocks to control the VFDs.
In your ladder logic add in the function block and map the input and output parameters to the function block. One quick note is that you have to send a stop signal to stop the motor. If you only remove the start signal, the motor continues to run.
The parameters for the VFDs are not stored in the PLC program. They are only in the drive itself, so you will have to enter them into the drive. This includes IP address, accel, decel, speed/start reference, FLA, voltage, etc.

jridge, that's a *fantastic* summary of the relevant capabilities of the 850E controller and documentation. Thank you for posting !

You are able to get the 850E? My distributor said it wouldn't be available until May.

Back in late November we got a quote on some of each and they told us "end of May" for the 2080-L50E*. And 2 weeks for some of the 2080-L70E*.
Now our distributor is showing a few in stock of L50E-24QBB, L50E-48QWB, and single digit stock levels of some of the L70Es.

Thank you, jridge, for the summary of the implicit messaging on the Micro850E.

I will need to 'flesh' this out, but with incorporating Ethernet 842E encoders. Does anyone know if communicating with an 842E encoder is possible?

I will eventually be migrating PLC control for an OEM I work for, from ML1400's, to Micro 850 (2080-L50E).

Thank you, jridge, for the summary of the implicit messaging on the Micro850E.

I will need to 'flesh' this out, but with incorporating Ethernet 842E encoders. Does anyone know if communicating with an 842E encoder is possible?

I will eventually be migrating PLC control for an OEM I work for, from ML1400's, to Micro 850 (2080-L50E).
If the 842E encoder talks Ethernet IP and you know how to set up an Generic Ethernet device to talk to it, then yes.