FES Gateway communication with GE PLC 90-70 series

shah2006

I have an application where I am trying to communicate from GE 90-70 PLC using the IC697CMM711 module to an FES COMNET Gateway. I have proven the communication between Micro III controller and FES COMNET gateway using HyperTerminal, so I have proven the addresses of the devices and that communication is active. I used the code given by PLC manual to communicate with FES gateway and found that the code related to attach command (7202 number) works but the code related to read command doesn't work. I am getting 01 data in status register when I used attach command for communication which means successful operation. However I am getting the error (370C H code) in status register when I try to read from FES gateway. I am not getting any data from the compressor control panel because of this error. If any ideas, or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
PLC module: IC697CMM711 , Port 1 (GE Fanuc 90-70)
Protocols- SNP, RS232 serial communication
FES COMNET gateway
Micro-III controller

The manual gives this description for major error code 0C, minor error code 37:

The SNP master has received a response message containing an unexpected data length. Usually indicates a problem with the remote slave device. May occur when Series 90-70 commands (Task Memory or Program Block Memory Read/Write) are issued to a Series 90-30 slave device.

It might help if you post the COMMREQ data from the 90-70.

Steve,
Thanks for your response. I tried different types of the registers (R, M) at FES COMNET and GE PLC sides but I received same error message all the time. I also tried different data registers (101R, 201R etc.) from FES COMNET side but still I get the same error (370C H). I also tried long attach command instead of standard attach command but I got the same error when I used read command to access FES COMNET. I am using FES COMNET as slave device and GE PLC as master device.

I don't know the FES hardware, but I am familiar with the SNP protocol and setting up the COMMREQ instruction.

According to the manual I have (GFK-0582c), the "Attach" code is 7200, not 7202. Code 7202 is "Read System Memory".

Please post the data values that you are using to populate your COMMREQ registers for both the successful transaction and the unsuccessful one.

Does FES give any example ladder logic in their documentation?

Thanks Steve.
You are right about attach command. I wrote the number in hurry.

Data for COMMREQ in attach command, 7200 (Successful operation)
Word-1 to 13: 7, 0, 8, 6099, 0, 0, 7200, 0, 0, 0, 0, 8, 6095
We used 7000R as status word which we resets to zero before performing any command to see the result.
We got 1 data in 7000R after operation of attach command.

Data for COMMREQ in read command, 7202 (Unsuccessful operation)
Word-1 to 12: 6, 0, 8, 6099, 0, 0, 7202, 8, 1705, 1, 8, 6006
We were trying to copy the data from 1705R (FES) to 6006R (GE 90-70).
We got 370C (Hex) data in 7000R after operation of read command.

I tried dirrerent registers with different types but still I got the same error. I also tried to use SNPID1 or SNPIDFF address for slave device (FES COMNET) in attach command instead of NULL id before performing read command but still I got the same error in read command.

Thanks

I assume when you wrote "6099" for the data in the fourth word of both COMMREQ instructions, you really used 6999. Either that, or the status data showed up in %R6100 rather than in %R7000.

How long did you wait after the successful "Attach" before trying to execute the "Read" command? The slave may drop off after some period of inactivity which would require another "Attach".

Make sure you're not mixing up hex numbers and decimal numbers when setting up the COMMREQ.

Are you sure there is a register 1705 in the FES device?

Try a value of 2 instead of 1 in the tenth word of the "Read" COMMREQ. That value may be getting interpreted as the number of bytes (instead of the number of words).

The error code points to a problem in the response from the slave and you don't have any control over that. Have you spoken with anyone from FES about this? Do you have an HMI panel that you could set up to try to communicate with the FES device using the same protocol?