Studio 5000 v31 saved a null project file?

gothroach

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I've been working on a project for a couple of weeks now using Studio 5000 Logix Designer (v31 project, also have v32 and v21 installed) and View Designer. When I went to load up the project in Logix Designer this morning, it said it wasn't a valid project file. I tried opening the last backup and that worked just fine, but I was interested in recovering the last 15 minutes or so of data that was missing from the backup.

Opening up the project .ACD in an editor found that the entire file consisted of null characters (0x00). The file size on the 'corrupted' .ACD is 317 bytes larger than the working backup. The last thing I did before I left work yesterday was to save the project, close Studio 5000, and then close my laptop (which does not go to sleep when it's plugged in).

I have zero idea how something like this could have happened, but this type of thing is why I like keeping copious backups. Has anyone else seen this behavior in a Logix Designer before, and if so is there a way I can avoid having this happen again? Backups saved me this time, but my nightmare scenario is to have something like this happen over the course of a day and corrupt that day's backups also.

Thanks,

-gothroach

Project File.png Hex View.png