Using S7-1215/17 to read data from two networks

leem2209

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know if the following is possible?

Using an S7-1215 or S7-1217 cpu, can I read data from two different networks and then in the internal program, transfer that data (network 1 db write to network 2 db) to write to the other network?

s7-1215-1217.PNG

You'd an extra CP

Dear leem2209,

The the network ports in 1215 or 1217 are in fact the same Ethernet interface with a switch. You'd need an extra CP (6GK7243-1BX30-0XE0) to connect a diferent network (with diferent IP).

Hope this helps

P1 and P2 are the same interface, which means they share an IP.

You could maybe do it with a communications card added. I think the CP1243-1 might work, depending on what type of communication you're doing.

Otherwise you could potentially use a router (S615 in a Siemens world) to act as a gateway to the other network.

Dear leem2209,

The the network ports in 1215 or 1217 are in fact the same Ethernet interface with a switch. You'd need an extra CP (6GK7243-1BX30-0XE0) to connect a diferent network (with diferent IP).

Hope this helps

Ok cool, using a CP card will allow the two different network ranges and I can have db’s reading values from each and writing to the other?

Yes, extra CP will work.

Alternatively, you could put a router between one of the built in ports and the secondary network.

Super! Thanks all...

So an extra CP card would work with a S7-1212C? We have a few spare on site.