Reading data from different COM ports

Walks

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how I would go about collecting data from a device server that has multiple serial devices connected to it, each with an assigned virtual COM port.

The module is a ICPDAS I-7188E8. I can set the modules IP address and assign a port address to each serial device connected to it. The manufacturer provides a software manual and list of commands that can be used to change settings or request data.

To my knowledge there are not any manufacture provide AOIs to use with a AB PLC.

If it is only the one module with one IP address, can I send requests from the PLC to retrieve data from a single port? The I-7188 can be configured with the Xserver software that provides the following command list, View attachment Xserver_Commands.pdf

Can I just create a module in RSlogix like in the picture but with the IP address of the I-7188 and set up the I/O if there is no EDS file or anything like that?

module setup.png

Thanks

Last edited: