Rockwell activation server

creativepaper

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been using the masterdisks for activation but in a recent purchase of RSView ME it doesn't come with a master disk.

Looking at the webpage, it mentions that the hostID can be a hard drive (or ethernet ID, so the computer dies and I slave this hard drive to another computer could I move the activation between the 2 hard drives?
This is basically what we are doing now with emove, but without having to use the internet to move files.

I can see the advantages for an activation server to hold the licenses, so (I presume) if a computer dies the license is returned to the server so I can plug in another computer to use the license?
Can this be a standard file server (win 2000 advanced server) or does it have to be a domain controller?

Tie the license to the ethernet card (not the wireless). Remember to backup the license to a network or other backup location.

If the computer fails grab the backup and copy the file to the new hard drive and you are good to go.

Any computer can be an activation server. Doesn't have to be an actual "server".

OG

Last edited:
I'm slightly lost on this, I just need a lightbulb moment.

Are you are saying to tie the license to the specific computers ethernet card and make a backup onto the network. If the computer hard drive fails, as long as the ethernet card is working I can copy the backup license to the new hard drive and we're running.

Or is this all relating to the activation server whereby I tie all licenses to a computer on the network and all the oeprator computers 'borrow' the license from this single location. I presume that if the network connection was severed, then the operator computer would stop responding. All software is RSView ME runtime edition (not SE)

Let's restrict the discussion the a "Node Locked" activation, which is appropriate for FTView ME Runtime.

The FT Activation tool creates the *.LIC file using the software serial number, something unique about the PC, and a little conversation with the RA activation system. That *.LIC file is just a text file with a big character string that is the activation code for your software.

The *.LIC file is what you back up. Copy it to a server folder, e-mail it to yourself, store it on your iPod, write it on a bar napkin, seal it in a bottle, and hide it in the basement in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door reading "beware of leopard".

A few months later, your computer undergoes a little forklift- based damage and the hard drive is toast. But you created your license file using the internal NIC card on the computer, not the hard drive identifier. A new hard drive, a ghost image install, and a search through the basement later, and your license file will get that software up and running. No phone calls, Internet connections, or purchase orders required.

The MAC address is hard coded to the physical ethernet card. So even if you don't do a Ghost restore, but say went the long way and manually reinstalled Window, your license file would still work since the license is tied to that hard coded MAC address.

But, as Ken mentions, a Ghost backup and then restore would be ideal.

I have my license file backed up to my gmail inbox, my Windows Home Server, a USB stick, and on my iPhone along with my Tech Connect contract #. Plus a printed copy filed away at home.

OG

OK, I thought that MAC addresses were hard-coded, so I'll get a PCI NIC for the computer then if the motherboard fails I can just plug and play.

Knowing me, if I had used an activation server, that would be the computer that died after 2 weeks, then I would have really been stuck.