Redlion CRIMSON 3.0 IDE Crashing during edits

shiftedbits

Crimson 3.0 IDE crashes and completely shuts down the development software when you you double click on grouped line primitives (don't know if it is true for other primitives as well).

Step 1:
Added three line primitives where each line is touching the end of the other. (Say a rectangular shape with the 4th line of the rectangle missing. I have not tried this with lines not touching)

Step 2:
Grouped all three lines in to one object (did not WIGITIZE). Afterwards, double clicking on one of the grouped lines(to edit its properties), causes Crimson to crash.

I mean,

POOF! GONE! BYE, BYE!

It does not happen all the time, but it does if you double click on it rapidly (even after groups edit dialog is open). Discovered this accidentally when the edit dialog did not pop-up at times after the first double-click. Hence, the manic double clicking that followed attempting to revive it. This crash can be duplicated easily now that I finally realized what was causing it. It had me worried for a while as all I was doing was adding and editing display pages when CRIMSON would crash out of the blue.

First Time, wiped out about 2 hours of work. 2nd time it crashed it asked if I wanted to use the Auto saved recovery file (or something similar to that). Clicking yes brought back most of the edits but not all of them (may have lost 5 or so minutes worth of work). But I'll take that over losing 2 hours. (It's possible Crimson may have a Auto save feature which I am not aware of yet as I have come to expect this feature to be a default feature on any type of development software.) This recovery dialog that pop's up is intermittent. Meaning, it does not re-appear after each crash. So there is inconsistency there as well.

Anyhow, has anyone seen similar behavior or have any recommended workarounds (besides the obvious: find the Auto save and set it immediately)?

(I remember in the past, Microsoft’s Visual Studio 6 IDE, and Rockwell’s RSVIEW Me constantly had this type of crashes in the early days. Hopefully, those days are not back).

Confirmed and repeated on my machine with XP SP3

You mean like this? It took only about three times clicking on the edge of the group to make it crash.

We will probably have to let Jeremy and Mike handle this next week, but I can cause the same glitch here.

Crimson Crash Build 437.png

Eureka OKiePC!

You found it. It is exactly the same problem, I actually got it to happen while clicking on a primitive (line) inside the group and not on that pop-up. Its the same crash. It's in Build #433 and also in the latest #454.

Best-

Yes, I should clarify that I clicked on the line representing the group, very near (if not on top of) one of the graphic lines making up the group. Then the little edit menu pop-up appeared to "fade into view" but very slowly, then when it was full brightness, the error message pop-up appeared.

I should have moved that error pop-up to see what was under it, but I think by then it was no longer going to be refreshed anyway.

I have seen this also. It goes way back. I figured it was trying to do to much at once so I just slowed down what I was doing. I have managed this feat in FactoryTalk as well so I did not make much of it. It is a PITA becasue in both you can lose work. It is almost as if you are trying to do to many jobs at once.

Clay B,

Expect in this case, there's hardly anything going on. No tags or any comms configured on this test project. Just three Line primitives grouped on a single display page.

I have also duplicated this crash and I will let the proper people know so that it gets fixed.

Thanks
Jeremy

Sweet!

I have experienced this problem occasionally for a long time....I just figured it was the hamsters powering my old IBM thinkpad falling off their itty-bitty treadmills. I have gotten into the habit of saving what I am working on abnormally often, after loosing edits due to the exhausted hamsters--er, the shell application abberation.

Last edited: