SLC 5/03 Connection to DOS 6.22 No Communication

pmudhar

Hello all,

I’m having a difficult time trying to achieve a DH485 connection between an AB PLC with CPU: SLC 5/03 to DOS 6.22 Shell. Basically I’ve set up and configured a new hard drive as our old one and back up were destroyed in an uncontrollable accident; however I do have all the files saved (but not an image). Basically the hard drive is partitioned into DOS 6.22 (which governs the PLC to PC connection, and IBM Warp 4, which contains the HMI program which is opening however is does not have a connection to the PLC.

Installing Warp 4 also installs DOS 6.22 with its necessary folders, ABIC and DOS, and files. However the folder which contains the PLC connection information is called IPDS which contains a series of folders including the SLC500 folder. I copied this folder into DOS 6.22 and tried to run SETUP.EXE which started the “Allen Bradley APS installation maintenance program”. Here I can “Verify installation directories”, “Create the APS group”, or “Configure/Add communication drivers”

1. Verify installation directories

Here I’m asked told “APS needs to verify the installed path of APS” and provide two fields one for APS and one for Interchange. The APS.BAT folder is in the correct directory, \ipds\attach\slc500, however it’s also asking about Interchange in the directory: \abic\bin. This interchange file does not exist and did not exist in the working hard drive.

2. Create the APS group

Here when I try to create a group I get a “DDE ERROR” stating “No Conversation Could Be Established” and a “Setup Status” message saying “The desktop is not responding, try again?” Upon pressing “OK” I get another “DDE Error” stating “Could not connect to the program manager”.

3. Configure/Add communication drivers

We have a DH485 connection to a laptop to edit programming which has no problem and has a green light on the SLC 5/03 CPU but the RS232 connection light is not lit up. Under this folder I set “DH+” as “Inactive”, “PIC” as Com1 (I tried both and but neither fixed the communication failure), and “DF1” as “Inactive”.

I’m at a loss as to why I’m not getting communication between the PLC and the PC? I’ve had almost no experience with DOS. All help I receive is very well appreciated! Thanks in advance!