Notebook PC with Rs-232 port

Road_Guy

Does anyone know which notebook PC manufacturers'
still have a RS-232 port ( serial ) incorporated
on their products? I need a new one but do not have
the time to investigate.

Thanks.....

Check out Dell's Latitude series of notebooks. many have a true serial port. Our company uses several. Not the highest power on the block but they work for our needs.

I normally use HP/Compaq without any problems. They have quite a few with real serial ports. My present machine is a Compaq nx5000 rebadged HP and it works fine.

Dell Latitude D820. Also has 1 PCMCIA slot but unfortunately it has a wide aspec ratio monitor which I hate, so I use two standard aspect 4:3 Dell 2007fp when in the docking station.

Marc

I have a Dell Latitude D620 which does have a serial port. Unfortunately it does not have a parallel port which means that I cannot run software which needs a parallel port dongle. This might be something else to watch for.

Andybr

maintpro said:
Belkin makes a good USB to Serial port adapter that works well.

This does not work on the 1761-NET-ENI . A true serial port is required to get the ENI Utility to work

Ian

We have a Dell D810 and a D820 in house (D 810 may have been obsoleted?). I'm happy with its performance, and the battery (get the HD model)life is good for a couple of hours plus troubleshooting at the machine. I'd buy another one in a minute, I _like_ the wide screen. It keeps the large rungs from getting folded up in a ball (RSL500).

Run down to Radiocrap......I mean RadioShack and buy their USB to serial converter. It's about 20 ~ 30 bucks and this is the only one I haven't had any issues yet. I have used it with both Win2K & XP. I have not tried the Belkin, so can't comment on that one.

I am using the HP Compaq nc6120 and the serial port works perfect. I choosed this Notebook, because it has an Type III PCMCIA Port (the wide 2 slot)as well, which I need for the Schneider Modbus+ PCMCIA Card.
Oli