small developmental plc/dcs hardware

Fortran77

Back in my collage days, 99' I did several developmental control projects, with a small RTU/PC combiation called Sigma Six???. It was a simple 486 cabled controller with 16 I/O ports for 0-10 v 4-20 ma, ac, dc, and thermocouple I/O's. I have currently been tapped for a small project like this and have been amazed that I cannot find a small simple system like this. Most small developmental systems are inclusive of ethernet, Cass I div I classification etc. Does anyone know of a simple plc/DCS hybrid of this nature?? I have looked at Bristol Babcock, opto 22, and AB. not finding what I need.. Thanks

Fortran77 said:
...It was a simple 486 cabled controller...
...simple plc/DCS hybrid of this nature?...

Expand on this.

What is a 486 cable controler?

What is a simple plc/DCS hybrid?

A great many types of products could fit in what you ask. Is it like a PC104 board, a PC I/O card or even an extended I/O module that connect to a PC serial or parallel port?

Explain the physical nature of the hardware cause today there is not less product but a lot more. Maybee its just what you name it and now it has a specific name so describe the hardware and you will have a ton of options.

Back in the old days many devices used 486, sometimes used as a parallel port printer cable before USB..you know back in the "kinder gentler days of Ronald Reagan" .....the guy on a 2 dolaar bill!! Anyway now it would be run on RS 232, ethernet, or USB. My point regarding Hybrid PLC/DCS is that it would be PC controlled for development purposes, on this sigma six system we used VBasic to program subroutines using I/O addresses to acces the assigned I/O. As I mentioned almost any I/O was available, and rack mounted like any PLC.
Regarding current systems, My problem seems to be that most manufacturers have gone away from this "instructional or lab type" device. There are many small plc/DCS hybrids based on industrial PLC which are ethernet capable and carry all the industrial safty credintials, which I don't need. The real bottom line here is cost of ownership, my old sigma system with 12 I/O was around $600 when Ronald was was president, I can do the same with Bristal Babcock, AB, Seimens, or AD but at a cost of $4000. I think what I am looking for is an instructional set. thanks Fortran77