Control Logix and Cognex

TerriLaf

Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me out with some connection issues that I have recently encountered. Here are some of the particulars...

- We are using a Control Logix platform to communicate with a Cognex 5100 enet camera to measure our outgoing product. We currently have 1 machine up and running with this setup, however the integrator cannot remember how to resolve the issue that we have encountered.
- I have already verified and reverified the ethernet connection parameters for both the Cognex as well as the Control Logix against the machine that is currently running in production.
- Using a Control Logix 5555 with a DH+ as well as an ENBT.
- Can ping the Control Logix ENBT card as well as the Cognex camera using my laptop (all connected via a hub).
- The Cognex camera is setup as a generic ethernet module (submodule of the ENBT card).
- In the Module Fault field of the submodule of the ENBT card I am getting the following error: (Code 16#0315) Connection Request Error: Invalid segment type.

I have screen shots of the Control Logix connection dialogue for the ENBT and Cognex setups for the running machine as well as the non running machine for anyone that would like to view them. Just let me know.

Any help that anyone can give is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.
TerriLaf.

I have done a couple systems using CompactLogix PLC's and multiple In-Sight 5000 series cameras. I used the add-on profile for RSLogix5000 available from the Insight Explorer CD. For the add-on profile to work you need RSLogix5000 V15 or higher and Cognex firmware 3.3 or higher. Never had any issues getting the communications to work. But trying to change camera jobs from the PLC is another story.

Please post the screen shots.

AJZ,
Just FYI all of the screen shots sans the last one are of the machine that is running in production.
The last pic (Non Working Machine Error) displays the error related to the Cognex camera.
I have recently installed the In-Sight software and have begun to fumble my way around. Hopefully early next week I will have a better understanding of how the Cognex system works.

Thanks again!!
TerriLaf

Control Logix and Cognex - Complete

As it turns out.... The issue was with the combination of firmware.
Because the Control Logix processor has version 10.xx, the Cognex camera having version 4.xx had issues communicating.
Our Cognex rep kindly downgraded the firmware of the camera for 2 reasons. 1 is that the newer camera firmware has some qwirks that he's not comfortable with and 2 is because we are currently not able to upgrade the firmware of our Control Logix processors for various reasons.

Thank you to everyone for your input!!!
TerriLaf

AJZ, would you please PM or email me? I have a CompactL talking to three Insight 5000s, and they are having problems coming back online after a power cycle.
I can trigger them, change jobs, send product selection, and all was working, but customer says that they stay offline when powered up. I've not seen the problem, though.

Rob

New information on old thread

In case it help anyone else out:

I was just connecting two Insight 7000 camera to a Controllogix over Ethernet.
Cameras are FW version 4.09, we have EDS version 10.1 and 4.7.
Camera had yellow triangle in PLC IO tree, showed "Timeout error" in module property.
Removed cameras from IO. un-installed both version of EDS, re-installed just the 4.7 EDS, downgraded camera FW to 4.8, errors gone and camera now communicating.:)

Odd thing - as I was doing that, Cognex tech returned my call and said that camera FW below 4.08 requires EDS 4.7, 4.08 and above requires the EDS 10.1. Yet the combination of 4.08 and EDS 4.7 solved the problem. YMVV. I was also told that if one has both an AddInProfile, and an EDS, the AIP takes precedence.