RSLogix 5 data file question

kevbloke

Hi all,

Im trying to add some more elements to a Floating point data file without much success. Its already set up for F8:0 only. I would like to add another 4 elements to this.
When im offline the elements box allows me to change the number of elements and when i do this the 'last' box changes to suit this I.e. F8:5.
I click on save and open the file again and all is good.As soon as i go online and open the data file the new elements have disappeared.
There are no passwords set up on the PLC.
Any ideas please.
Many thanks
Kev

Data_file.jpg

When you go online, you are uploading what is still in the PLC-5. I believe some models allow you to expand the data table while online, while other models will require you to do it offline (as you already did) and then perform a download which will interrupt the process.

I like to "blow out" the data tables and make room for plenty of all types. I also tend to add spare program files. Each time you make such changes to an offline project, right click on the Program Files icon in the project tree and click Verify Project. Then look at the controller properties to see how much memory you have free. Always leave a few kilobytes for online editing, but it is better to "have and not need than to need and not have" and end up having to "blow them out" some more with a subsequent download.

Last edited:
Thank you OkiePC

When on line the boxes are greyed out so no changes possible. I will have to do a down load when the machines not running.
They might get the hump if i do it now:)

Kev

I believe some models allow you to expand the data table while online, while other models will require you to do it offline (as you already did) and then perform a download which will interrupt the process.

IIRC, One can add data table memory while online only by going to PROGRAM mode first.

Of course, it's the same effect as going offline to do it, ie. the processor is not in RUN for the duration of either change.