OT: What this world needs

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
After hanging up on yet another telemarketer, I've decided to call together the brain trust of Smoke & Mirrors (S&M).

The world needs a device that, upon a command from an irritated recipient of a telemarketing call, can find its way to the computer that keeps track of the telemarketer's connect time for billing purposes. Having located its target, the device needs to hack its way in and goose the telemarketer's rate to $100 per minute.

What do you think? If we can solve the energy crisis with the cat/buttered toast electrical generator, surely we can rid the world of the scourge of telemarketers.

Here's what we can do...

Ask them to hold on for just one second, and then set the phone down. Time it and see how long they stay on the line.

Then we can start a thread here, maybe a sticky, and everyone can post their "score". It'll be like a contest.

dmroeder said:
Here's what we can do...

Ask them to hold on for just one second, and then set the phone down. Time it and see how long they stay on the line.

Then we can start a thread here, maybe a sticky, and everyone can post their "score". It'll be like a contest.

I have a friend that does this. He doesn't time it he just sets the phone aside and hangs up 10 mins later. He figures it ties them up for a little bit anyway.

Funny that this topic should come up, my buddies and I were just talking about this.(things are getting slow out here) Our solution was to go the 1-900 route. The marketer calls you and gets a reply like "....if you want to continue this call you will be charged $5 for the first two minutes and $10 dollars for each additional minute, please stay on the line if you except these terms...." For that price, I will talk to them all night. The trick would be getting the bill to the marketer. OK that is my two cents or five for each additional post. :)

Tark, you can't list a business phone on the do not call registry. Besides, I'm not satisfied with simply not receiving telemarketing calls. I'm on a mission to put telemarketing pests out of business by making it too expensive to be profitable.

Steve...how about a hi frequency noise maker, you would hold this device up to the phone and it would disable their phone system

Like a dirty bomb, it would kill all electronics on the other end of the phone

:D

For 2 or 3 weeks I was gettng calls from a telemarketer at the same time every night. It was an automated message asking me to call a number. I called it once, and it was answered by a human. I asked them not to call anymore, but apparently i takes up to 30 days to be removed from their call list. So in the meantime, every night just before there usual call time, I turn on my call forwarding and forwarded their calls to the number they were asking me to call. Imagine their surprise when they answered and it was their automated message calling them. After about 3 days the calls stopped.

Derek

controlled said:
For 2 or 3 weeks I was gettng calls from a telemarketer at the same time every night. It was an automated message asking me to call a number. I called it once, and it was answered by a human. I asked them not to call anymore, but apparently i takes up to 30 days to be removed from their call list. So in the meantime, every night just before there usual call time, I turn on my call forwarding and forwarded their calls to the number they were asking me to call. Imagine their surprise when they answered and it was their automated message calling them. After about 3 days the calls stopped.

Derek

ohhhh ........ that's just evil!!

dmroeder said:
Here's what we can do...

Ha Ha Ha, this is a personal favorite technique of mine (my record so far is 27 minutes).

I also like to vary this with "can you hold please whilst I transfer you" and place the telephone next to the nearest radio (haven't timed this one yet).

I will generally ask them a Mirage of questions about the charity they rep. Keeping them on the line as long as possible. Then when they get tired of this, I will say "Doesn't it suck when people waiste your time" And hang up on them.

I agree with the poster A don't call list is not enough, And it doesn't work either....