Siemens S7- Profibus node confusion- IO map vs rung command.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
The picture shows my confusion. I found the drive in the panel... it had a label that matched the function. I checked the profibus address dip switches... 1111, which of course is 15. On the IO map in Step 7, node 15 IO addresses are 280-283. But looking in the Ladder Network for the Profibus communication, the addresses used for the controlling the clearing track VFD are different... 276-279. This difference continued through all of the VFDs... 16 was actually 15, 15 was actually 14, and 14 was actually 9.

The guy working on this system before me learned on the job. I've seen some minor mistakes here and there. I noticed all the drives are 1 address different in the blocks versus the IO map. I'm wondering if maybe he labeled the IO wrong and just left it. It doesn't seem to be linked to anything functioning in the PLC... am I correct? The IO map for the network linked devices could be wrong and it wouldn't affect the program, right? After all, you don't use the node address in the rung sending the words to the IO addresses, you use the number... 280, 282, etc.

If this is right, would you change the IO map to match the actual program addresses that control each VFD? I'd like to clean the project up a little.

ProfinetQuestions.png

My guess is that the offline hardware configuration is not the same as the online hardware configuration.

Create a new empty project, and do an Upload Station to PG.
Then manually check for differences between the two projects.

Are you saying that all the addresses to the drives have been mixed up ?
The no of drives is correct, only they are mixed up ?
That could explain that there is no bus failure, since the hardware is actually present.

Is it possible that the mix-up has been done twice, on both hardware and software. So that it works OK even if it looks wrong at first glance ?

I dont like that the DB308 for controlling the drive is called "DB308". Not very helpful when interpreting what the code does. It should have been called "ConveyorABC_control" or something like that.

Also, in the hardware configuration, move the Profinet and Profibus networks so that they are not obscuring each other. I thought at first that it was a Profinet network.

In your screenshot, your "Sl..." Column is showing indexes 4 and 5 of the IO mapping for the drive. Maybe there are more IO addresses if you scroll upwards two or three rows.

Are you saying that all the addresses to the drives have been mixed up ?
The no of drives is correct, only they are mixed up ?
That could explain that there is no bus failure, since the hardware is actually present.

Is it possible that the mix-up has been done twice, on both hardware and software. So that it works OK even if it looks wrong at first glance ?

I dont like that the DB308 for controlling the drive is called "DB308". Not very helpful when interpreting what the code does. It should have been called "ConveyorABC_control" or something like that.

Also, in the hardware configuration, move the Profinet and Profibus networks so that they are not obscuring each other. I thought at first that it was a Profinet network.

Yeah, I think there is no bus error because the mixup has been done on both the hardware and software.

There are some things that have been labeled well, and some that have not. Comments are hit and miss. I'm trying to step it up a notch going forward. I just need to get fully acclimated to the Siemens way of doing things before I make too many changes to things done before me. I know there are "experiments" the guy made in the program, and left behind when he changed course. I'll try to clean some of that up.

These drives are Siemens G120C. I'll throw a picture up that I took today.

The customer has a Siemens Field PG for interacting with the system. They also have a Siemens Wifi system, which is convenient for some of the tasks, especially making programming changes to the blocks. However, it obviously can't access the Profibus network. To connect to the Probus nodes, I have to plug the PG in on the production floor by the control panel. I started working on the addressing questions when I got there today, but I was having trouble uploading from the active PLC node over the wifi connection. From past experiences, I assumed it meant that I'd have to connect to the Profibus network to upload to a new project. So I put that aside and started working on getting into the Lenze Servo Drives that are on the Profibus network. They are obsolete, so I see that as something I should be prepared to upgrade in the not too distant future. But they didn't prove to be any easier... The software is on the "old Windows XP laptop," and after I located the RS232 comm module and got everything hooked up, I had issues with opening the comm port on the laptop. I started calling Lenze tech support when I realized it was time to go home.

I'm on vacation next week, so I won't be back at this customer until the week of the 24th. I've been taking the PG home with me, but I left it there until I get back.

SiemensVFDs.png

The customer has a Siemens Field PG for interacting with the system. They also have a Siemens Wifi system, which is convenient for some of the tasks, especially making programming changes to the blocks. However, it obviously can't access the Profibus network. To connect to the Probus nodes, I have to plug the PG in on the production floor by the control panel.
This is a tangent, but..
You can access the drives without having to plug into the Profibus network.
Are you using STARTER/DRIVE ES integrated into the STEP7 Project, or as standalone ?
If you are using STARTER, then you can go online by routing from ethernet to profibus. It is a little quirky to find where to set it up in STARTER, but basically you have to specify that you must go via a network transition.
See here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=54950 (it is for MM4 but should work the same for G120C).

Fyi... I'm working in Siemens Step 7, Simatic Manager. Not sure if that makes a difference. I have used TIA on a field service PG to troubleshoot a machine. ...Seemed to be more advanced.

Comparing Step 7 to Allen Bradley, I miss being able to right click and "find all" when I am tracing a bit.

Comparing Step 7 to Allen Bradley, I miss being able to right click and "find all" when I am tracing a bit.

Right Click and cross reference? Or click on the bit and Ctrl+Alt+Q??

If inside an FB and when looking for internal data types, Ctrl+Shift+F finds the bit down the block, Ctrl+Shift+B finds the bit up the block.

The one thing to look out for is the little checkbox to display overlapping access which can hide quite a fair bit of the program.

Damn, I miss Step7. :(

Right Click and cross reference? Or click on the bit and Ctrl+Alt+Q??

If inside an FB and when looking for internal data types, Ctrl+Shift+F finds the bit down the block, Ctrl+Shift+B finds the bit up the block.

The one thing to look out for is the little checkbox to display overlapping access which can hide quite a fair bit of the program.

Damn, I miss Step7. :(

Cool... looks like I may have judged too quickly. I'll have to try that out when I get back.

Thanks!

Cool... looks like I may have judged too quickly.

It was a revelation when it came out and if you worked with it at the time it was a pleasure to use.

If you aren't that old and are used to modern TIA or Studio and have to step back in time to use it for old projects, it can be horrible.

That said, it doesn't crash!