Beckoff PLC TWincat 3 - Idea for persistent variables

naturephoenix

I'm wondering how should I use persistent variables in my program.

Should I just use PERSISTENT on the declaration of the variables I want to keep Values, or Second Option is to create NEW EMPTY PErsistent VAriables, Once USER press button on HMI I would copy
my Normal Variables to the "NEW EMPTY PErsistent VAriables".

On the PLC startup I would do the reverse , copy from

"NEW EMPTY PErsistent VAriables" to my Normal Variables.

Any ideas?
How do you guys usually using this feature?

Different brand but same concept, I started saving variable data to a csv file. Mostly it’s all machine configuration and parameters that need saving.

I’m sure Beckhoff has some function block to save variable data to a file and restore it.

This way, I don’t have to mess with setting the remanent memory size or persistent memory size. It also saves entire structures as well. I can also ftp into the PLC and save the csv file as a backup if needed.