PID Control of PowerFlex 40-E via 22-Comm-E

I have previously setup a PowerFlex 525 via Embedded EtherNet/IP, so that my CompactLogix can send the PID Setpoint, and PID process reference (feedback), for PID Loop control.

Now, I am trying to similarly setup a PowerFlex 40-E via 22-Comm-E. I have similarly set the PID Reference Select, and PID Feedback Select (both to Comm Port), but am not able to find the I/O reference tag in the PLC to actually send this data.

What am I missing? Is this not possible with a 40, and only with a 525?

So you're using the drive's built-in PID controls to set the speed, and just sending the PID setpoint via Ethernet/IP?

If so, I would think you would need to set up the datalinks in the drive configuration menu in Studio 5000. I wouldn't think the defaults would have that (they don't for the 525 anyways.)

So you're using the drive's built-in PID controls to set the speed, and just sending the PID setpoint via Ethernet/IP?

If so, I would think you would need to set up the datalinks in the drive configuration menu in Studio 5000. I wouldn't think the defaults would have that (they don't for the 525 anyways.)

The data links for the PF40 do not appear to be assignable, like the 525

After speaking with Rockwell Tech Support, I have to send a MSG command to set the PID setpoint/reference (137). Datalink is not available.

The PID Feedback is set (in both PF40 and PF525) by using the FreqCommand I/O tag, scaled 0-100% = 0-60 HZ Freq.

Reference Rockwell Knowledge Base 627551 "PowerFlex 525 send PID setpoint and feedback through Ethernet/IP".

"PID feedback will be written using the drive name:O.Frequency_Command tag name. The scaling of the PID feedback is 0-3600, where 3600 = Parameter P044 [Maximum Freq]. Do not datalink Parameter A460 [PID 1 Fdback Sel]"

Guess I need to go back and fix my 525 application, as well.

Glad you got it figured out. I'm curious though, why do the PID in the drive if you have a PLC available? I've never seen that arrangement before.

Glad you got it figured out. I'm curious though, why do the PID in the drive if you have a PLC available? I've never seen that arrangement before.

CompactLogix and ControlLogix have crappy PID. I've yet to see it done well. MicroLogix does just fine.

Also, since the PID code is already done for me by the drive, I don't need to re-invent the wheel.

Once I have tuned these drives at this site, I plan to repeat at an other site, removing the PID logic from the PLC.

CompactLogix and ControlLogix have crappy PID. I've yet to see it done well. MicroLogix does just fine..

This is kind of a tangent, but are you sure you're setting up the PIDs properly in the 5000 series processors? They can be configured to be identical to a MicroLogix, but have many more features. And multiple different PID blocks are available depending on your needs.

This is kind of a tangent, but are you sure you're setting up the PIDs properly in the 5000 series processors? They can be configured to be identical to a MicroLogix, but have many more features. And multiple different PID blocks are available depending on your needs.
Could you share more info about PID in rockwell please and which one to fits better to control a closed loop of poweflex 525 and external encoder?many thanks