FactoryTalk View Studio - Alarm Import

dkucukar

Hi everyone!

I have a FactoryTalk Alarm Editor question for you guys. I recently completed an install that involved adding two new assets to my line. I am trying to set up the alarm history of my panelview (Panelview Plus 1500). I have all of my machine faults and manual intervention warnings in an excel sheet for the entire cell. I thought I could copy and paste my spreadsheet into the alarm setup messages tab, but I get the following message "Unable to add the alarm message(s) because the Machine Edition application limit of 10000 messages will be exceeded."

What's confusing about it is that the project already had 26000+ messages in it, any idea of how this happened? Does anyone have advice or tips on how to do a mass import of alarm messages?

Thank you!

I did that, however I get an error stating that I'm trying to exceed the message limit of 10000. My current project already has 26000 in it, so its already above the supposed limit. I'm looking for a workaround.

I am not sure of your system setup, but if you are using the factorytalk alarms and events, I believe the test limits is 10,000 where as the factorytalk view application is limited to 100,000.

Have you tried just importing the new alarm messages?

I tried exporting my messages and importing the same hml file to verify that it could be done and I still received the same error.

Are you saying that studio checks to make sure I'm at less than 10,000 but the actual runtime on the panelview can run at 100,000?

Was the project created in an older version?
It is possible that you could exceed the 10,000 alarm limit in previous versions. But in your version 6.1 that limit is now enforced.

So, if you want more than 10,000 alarm messages try to find an old version of FTView Studio where it would let you do that. Create your alarm file there and then bring it into version 6.1. That might work.

Or, try using the Local Message feature to display messages to your operators. Each file has a 10,0000 message limit as well, but you can create many of those files.

You might also want to ask WHY you have >10,000 alarm messages.
That's a very high number for a machine.

Oh okay got it, that makes sense. I'm forced to use a standard fault template with a ton of spares and unused messages. If i can't find an old version of factorytalk I'll just delete all the spares and hope I dont get audited :ROFLMAO::)

Thanks for all your help!

For anyone that found their way to this forum that has this same problem (like I did), there is a solution in Rockwell's Knowledge Base that I found that worked for me:

Modify the AlarmMessages.xml file in:

32-bit OS:
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise

64-bit OS:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise

Note: The recommended maximum is 30,000. If unable to modify xml go to File Properties -->Security --> and allow full control.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Alarms>
<Messages MAXIMUM_ALLOWED_MESSAGES="30000">
</Messages>
</Alarms>

The link to this article is:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/481141/p/647

We actually were using over 35,000 messages so I entered 40,000 as a maximum and it worked fine.