Help with Cutler Hammer D100A PLC (Toshiba EX40)

Outputs addressed in ladder that don't exist?

I'm looking into one of these D100's D100CRA40A to retrofit and I'm finding that there are outputs in the ladder that don't exist on the controller.

For example there are outputs Y024, Y025, and Y026, but there are only 16 outputs. I'd think they were garbage but the associated rungs seem to have bearing elsewhere in executing outputs that *are* in the controller.

Maybe undocumented internal system registers?? If it helps, these also seem to be on rungs that seemingly 'seal in' without a way to clear unless you cycled power

aaah the old 'squeak' box

I had one a long time ago.
I don't remember the cable being an ethernet one though. (but it's been a long while)

Well I've just been lumbered with looking into one of the EX40 Toshiba's that's came my way as it isn't playing nicely (suspect one of the output relays is faulty)so after a bit of research and downloading manuals etc, I've got the D100 software to run in a W98 VM but now need to get it to talk to my laptop.

The laptop I have has a genuine serial port (thankfully) and I have an RS232 to RS422 adaptor lying around. looking through the manuals it sort of suggests that the PLC uses the RS422 protocol, sooo… could I make a lead wiring an RJ45 connector at one end to connect to the PLC and wire the other to the RS422 adaptor RX + / - and TX+ / - and if so, does anyone have the pin out needed for the RJ45 end? - eg pin 1 RX+ / pin 2 RX- etc?.
I might be barking up the wrong tree here and its not the correct protocol but thought I might give it go first.

Any advice gratefully received.

Bolty.

Well I've just been lumbered with looking into one of the EX40 Toshiba's that's came my way as it isn't playing nicely (suspect one of the output relays is faulty)so after a bit of research and downloading manuals etc, I've got the D100 software to run in a W98 VM but now need to get it to talk to my laptop.

The laptop I have has a genuine serial port (thankfully) and I have an RS232 to RS422 adaptor lying around. looking through the manuals it sort of suggests that the PLC uses the RS422 protocol, sooo… could I make a lead wiring an RJ45 connector at one end to connect to the PLC and wire the other to the RS422 adaptor RX + / - and TX+ / - and if so, does anyone have the pin out needed for the RJ45 end? - eg pin 1 RX+ / pin 2 RX- etc?.
I might be barking up the wrong tree here and its not the correct protocol but thought I might give it go first.

Any advice gratefully received.

Bolty.

Ex Ayr Scotland here, did you get the info you required, I did a lot of work with these in 1986 wow..".the adaptor I used recently was ttl-rs232 I could dig out the pic I have if you need?

Bolty.[/QUOTE]

Afternoon all - just a bit of closure.

taking a bit more time out to mull over the previous posts on the same subject and the diagram for the adaptor from jrwb4gbm, I managed to get the laptop to talk to the EX40 sitting on my desk and a cutler hammer D100 out on the field.

I took the easy way out and bought an RS232 serial to TTL convertor (max232) on ebay for a fiver and after a bit of fettling with an ethernet cable managed to get the adaptor PDD software to talk successfully within a W98 VM.

If anyone needs pictures - let me know and i'll post some up.

thanks again for help offered - appreciated as always.

Regards,

Bolty.

Last edited:
Morning.

Firstly, if you don't have the time or components to solder up a convertor following some of the guidance given in some of the other threads, just search for one on ebay.

I bought a Max232 TTL convertor from ebay (uk link below). This one allowed me to connect using my real serial port on my laptop. I can't confirm if a usb to RS232 adaptor would work. You'll also note the convertor i used needs the usb lead plugged in as well but some others on ebay don't.

The LED's showing transmit and recieve on this convertor were a god send! :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RS232-To...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Then using a bog standard ethernet lead, i chopped off one end, stripped the wires and connected it to the flying leads from the convertor using good old terminal strip.

Apologies about how rough it looks in the attached pictures but this was to let me bench test my connections with a spare unit before heading out to the site a few hours away - honest :p . I did make a better one mounted into a little box to keep it safe.

I have included a drawing in the last picture showing the lead connections looking at the end of the connector that plugs into to the D100a programming port and the only 4 wires you need to have connected to the convertor. Again apolgies about the roughness of the picture but i knocked it up quickly before as a reminder for myself.

Hope this helps.

Bolty.

D100a lead 1.jpg D100a lead 2.jpg D100a lead 3.jpg

Help with communication

Thank you for the photos and information on this thread. I have a machine with 2-D100's that I need to retrieve the current program from. Ive loaded the d100 software and it seems to be working, I also made the cable and purchased the conversion board. I dont understand how to setup the communication parameters.

Its in section 1 of the software. Can anyone share the settings theyve used to communicate?

Thanks very much.

Help with communication

Thank you for the photos and information on this thread. I have a machine with 2-D100's that I need to retrieve the current program from. Ive loaded the d100 software and it seems to be working, I also made the cable and purchased the conversion board. I dont understand how to setup the communication parameters.

Its in section 1 of the software. Can anyone share the settings theyve used to communicate?

Thanks very much.
Same question.