am i allowed to run windows 7 OEM on VM ?

I do not know the legitimacy of these keys. The site has been selling the keys for a long time over 2 years. It seems to me that Microsoft would have stopped this a long time ago if they are bogus.IMHO

The consensus around the internet is that it's iffy at best. They appear to be a site where users can resell keys for games and such. Not sure if that is how the Windows keys are sold. I didn't find them on Microsoft's partner site. Microsoft will typically ban keys as they become an issue. Sometimes keys get banned, sometimes they don't. You can search the internet for "kinguin windows keys" and see.

The site is out of Hong Kong so I'm not sure what they can do legally other than ban serial numbers as the are found to be an issue.

You can download something like ubuntu Linux to be the OS for your host and use the OEM windows license for your guest VM but this still limits you to 1 VM though.

I have seen people use this setup in step with using a few levels of snapshots. It works but I would not want that setup for myself.

Odd thing..
Windows activate will not let me use the Windows License on my pc to activate the VM license and I bought a license for another VM and activated it on that VM and Windows will not activate that 1 either on my other VM..

Perhaps I'm wildly missing the point here, but I found the whole thing quite easy.

Buy Win7, make VM, enter license. Clone VM and install software. Repeat with original Win7 VM as needed. Up to 4 I believe on the same license.

NetNathan:

Think of it as you really only have one VM, but snapshots of it in different backup configurations. A pain I know, hence why getting Volume licencing is good. If you have messed up your activations, I think you have to call microsoft to rehost it.

Originally Posted by AustralIan
[Method 1: Two Windows 7 OEM/Retail Licences]
OK, so you purchased two OEM/Retail licences.

Use one to activate your Host OS.
Use one to activate your first Guest OS, tying it to the virtual hardware, lets call it Blank_Win7_64.
Take a backup / copy of your VM, name the copy backup_With_Rockwell.
OK, now to create your siemens VM, you need to:
'Revert' to Blank_Win7_64. make sure you (or anyone else) don't run your backup_With_Rockwell at the same time, else the police etc will be called.
Take a backup of this VM and call it Backup_With_Siemens.

If at any stage you run two of these backups at the same time, your microsoft karma goes down. You are 'reverting to different backup states of the same OS instance' every time you switch VMs.

janner_10:

That's right, but you can have unlimited VM clones but only one running at a time.

You can have 4 running if you are using Volume licencing with windows enterprise with software assurance. Volume licencing you don't even need to activate.

Another issue...
OEM Windows 7 licenses cannot be used for VM???

So according to Dell and Windows, I cannot use the OEM license that came on my pc.
So....back to the expensive Volume Licensing route.

Last edited: