Inactive Users that used to be very Active

There is still a hole from a few that their personalities were larger than life, Terry Woods, Ron Doran, Elevator Mike and several others... Ron was a good moderator (before we had any) and Terry was a great **** stirrer :) but I agree, most of the time someone else will step up and help with the technical issues

I was thinking of Terry myself. I remember him from way back when. And yes, he was two things, loquacious, and a pot-stirrer (not that I have all that much room to talk :) ). I had forgotten about Elevator Mike...

Digging into this site a bit (sorry, it's part of my engineering/troubleshooting nature):

The Plc Kid has been offline for a while.
Geospark however, has been online recently.
I'm quite grateful for both of these guys as well as so many others that have helped out over the years.

When I posted this I swear geosparks said August last activity. He should post and correct me. Lol

Yep, know where it is. I passed by there a couple years ago when I was doing a job in Pulaski.

My fathers side of the family is actually from Lynnville, TN (A small town near Pulaski) and settled in Tennessee before it was state. My grandmother was a Giles. (Giles county).

I am still alive and well guys. Working 2 full time jobs to get enough work hours for my PE certification and working on my masters also.

I barely have time to sleep these days but I still try to take a look at the forum once or twice a week.

My fathers side of the family is actually from Lynnville, TN (A small town near Pulaski) and settled in Tennessee before it was state. My grandmother was a Giles. (Giles county).

We almost bought a house there. It's a pretty little town. :)

I am still alive and well guys. Working 2 full time jobs to get enough work hours for my PE certification and working on my masters also.

I barely have time to sleep these days but I still try to take a look at the forum once or twice a week.

glad to see you are still around
and keep up the good work.

Hello from the other side…

Hi to all and sundry,

“Geospark” here. Or “George”, if you don’t mind? Geospark is just a gamer handle I used back in the day when I had more time to sit in front of a computer for things other than work. It’s simply a meshing of my name “George” & my occupation “sparks” or “sparky”, as in “Electrician”. So, for want of a more apt username for a Technical Forum, I just used it here when I created my user account back in 2012. For those that know me, think they know me, love or loathe me, please, you may call me George. Even if it’s included in a sentence with expletives! However, to date, “Sir George” is still my favourite title bestowed upon me here on this Forum.

While I only signed on to the madness here, official, in 2012, I had been reading here for years previous to that, but only on and off out of interest and occasionally when searching for help. My change in rolls around that time; coming in from the cold of contracting to the warm comforts of factory life, afforded me a little more time to frequent this Forum. In time, I realised I may have something to give back from my experience and so I started to contribute what little I have thus far. My first post was to assist someone else, as opposed to seeking assistance. It felt good helping a relative stranger. I liked helping others and learning new things along the way. I also tried to make it interesting, if and when I could. But to dispense my brand of “knowledge”, in the manner in which “I” did, took up a lot of my time. Too much, in fact. Time I have not been able to afford these last few months. Just look at me ramble on in this one post! So I decided last year that I had to go “Cold Turkey”, but even that wasn’t so easy to do. I needed a reason to stop, or more so an excuse.

A couple of things happened that have played a part in my absence of late…

The pseudo reason…

I had “waded” or “belly-flopped”? into the role of Moderator last year. Something that did not end well. But that was entirely my own doing. I overstepped the mark and Phil, politely, demoted me. Something I was not too happy with at the time as I had only the Forum’s best interest at heart at all times. I felt my intentions and actions were being somewhat misunderstood, but deep down I knew that I was the one who had misunderstood what my role as a Moderator was, or more importantly, was not.

I was just looking for an excuse to cease posting here, as I knew I wouldn’t have the time the way things were panning out for me work-wise. Any excuse would do and the “demotion” kindly presented itself as a way out. So I bid Phil a rather terse but sincere farewell and wished ye all the best for the future here on the Forum. My nose was a little out of joint, but I was “free”.

The real reason…

I’m off shifts for good since the New Year, of which I would like to belatedly wish all a happy one. But it has come at a price. Between changing roles (“Plant Technician to “Plant Engineer”) and taking on extra duties in work as my “Guru” retires later this year, while not being replaced, and several projects currently underway, I have been absolutely snowed under these past few months. But in a good way. I like being busy and working with new technologies. However, this work load, which started growing early last year, was starting to put a lot of pressure on my free time and I knew I would have to sacrifice something, and soon. So, at the first whiff of an excuse, I left.

I do miss my interactions here and I would never say never, but at the moment I am still quite busy and cannot see a return to what was before any time soon. I only logged in recently to view something in one of my own posts as a reminder of how to do something. I do read here the odd day offline and yes, I do see plenty of threads where I would normally have replied in a heartbeat. But I don’t. Something else usually needs doing that is currently more important. But those threads do just fine without my input, as does the Forum. So yes, the gaps are indeed filled here as they appear. Whether the fillers are of the same grade as original built, or not, is questionable though! (Joke).

I did notice a number of PM’s when I logged in recently asking after my welfare. While I have not replied to any one individual I would like to thank those who have done so and for considering me worthy of your concerns. I have a lot of respect for the members of this Forum and what they bring to it, regardless of whether the same respect is reciprocated, or not.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to wrestling with one of these new PanelView 5500 terminals and their wonderful software that is “View Designer”.

Yours,
The Abominable Snowedunderman (maybe “Snowedunderman” could be my new handle if I ever decide to return under a new alias?)

Best regards,
George