Convert SLC 5/04 to CompactLogix L18

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good evening everyone,
I am looking at a new project that will involve swapping out a SLC 5/04 processor with a CompactLogix using the 1747-AENTR in the SLC Chassis.

I have used the Ethernet/IP Capacity Tool and determined that a L18ER will handle the Remote I/O Requirements via Ethernet.

The next question is will the 512K of memory in the L18 be enough for my program conversion? I know the 5/04 has 32K of memory so on the surface it would appear that I have way more than needed. On the other hand I also know that the Logix line of PLC's use memory way differently than the SLC. So I know it is not a simple 1 to 1 conversion.

So for all of you that have done this kind of upgrade before how much did you see your program grow in size after the conversion?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!! :site:

Should fit with no problem. But if you already have the Logix software try it out first. Just delete any instructions and modules it wont like. Will give you an idea of how much mem you will have left.

Or post the SLC program here and I'll try for you.

Yes I have RSL 500 and Studio 5K. I am having tough time getting the conversion tool to work. Any hints?

Since the program isn't all that extensive I am planning on re-writing it so I can make proper tags. I am not very fond of the way the conversion tool does its new tag names.

Edit: I figured it out. Now I understand what you were saying about deleting the modules and instructions :)

Last edited:
Just did the conversion and it looks like the program will take up about 100K in the new format.
Thanks for the help.

Yes I have RSL 500 and Studio 5K. I am having tough time getting the conversion tool to work. Any hints?

Since the program isn't all that extensive I am planning on re-writing it so I can make proper tags. I am not very fond of the way the conversion tool does its new tag names.

Edit: I figured it out. Now I understand what you were saying about deleting the modules and instructions :)

Did you use V2 or V3 of the conversion tool? I haven't used V3, it might be better than V2 (one would hope anyway...)

Whereabouts in Colorado? Black Forest boy here...

I used V3 but like most Men I didn't read the instructions completely and did a partial export not a complete export. I fixed it and it worked. There were a lot of errors during the conversion and after the conversion but if finally made it.

I can see that if you have a very large program the tool would make your conversion much easier and faster. I have seen a few converted programs that were very small and just really hated the way the conversion tool did the tag names. In my opinion it removes the real power of the Tag name based systems. I mean who wouldn't prefer "PUMP1_START" over "b3(1).1" as a tag name?

Again if you have a large program I can see not taking the time to re-write it. For me I should be able to re-write mine in 4 hours. That is time well spent in my opinion given I am the guy who will have to maintain it in the future!!

Whereabouts in Colorado? Black Forest boy here...
I live in Thornton.

The last few I converted for customers they wanted a conversation rather then a rewrite only because the techs knew the existing program well.
I was told by the local AB expert that the memory is an approximate 10:1 Logix:Slc or Plc5 ratio.

Now you can save it as a .L5K file and use a text editor (I prefer Notepad++) to replace the auto-created tags with something more descriptive.