MicroLogix Power Supply

zblum

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using an AC or DC power-supplied MicroLogix controller? I am using 24V field device in and out, but I accidentally bought a PLC requiring a 120V input to power itself.
Thanks

In my field, we use a lot of battery backup systems. I like the 24vdc powered version for that (combined with a PULS buffer module and a big SLA battery). We always have at least a few 24vdc sensors so it makes sense to use the 24vdc powered version of the Micrologix.

I don't think there are any significant disadvantages to using 120vac powered Micrologix unless you don't have 120v available.

I have one installation where the incoming power is sketchy and the 120vac (ML1400) model lost its marbles a couple of times...probably due to a brownout. The plant operator added a household grade UPS to "cure" it.

I am not sure if they're more sensitive to transients on the AC line, but that is anecdotal at best.

I sell a lot of both but seams since the arc flash NFPA several years back more and more are splitting the cabinets, 24 one side and up on the other... guessing so they can access the 24v side (PLC and I/O) without dressing up (just a WAG)

Personally I still use BWA when building but I think either way is fine