PV800 and Compactlogix

dginbuffalo

Hello all. I'm looking for some feedback on using a Panelview 800 with a Compactlogix. I'm wondering how "user friendly" Connected Components is with the Compactlogix. We have quite a few small machines that a PV7 seems overkill for, and more than double the price. In my past life I would usually match these up with a Red Lion G3 but people might drop a baby where I'm at now! Thanks for any info 🍺

Just finished a PV800 on a CompactLogix system. It has its limitations, but for small projects seems adequate. There is no animating pf objects as you can do in FTV....and you are limited to 20 screens, and 200 tags. Also importing tags from Studio5000 was a PITA for me. There may have been better ways, though. Keep in mind that the PV800 only works with the L1, L2 and L3 processors. I was using a 5370 line. It doesn't work with the L32E, L33, L43, L45 processors as I understand.

Keep in mind that the PV800 only works with the L1, L2 and L3 processors. I was using a 5370 line. It doesn't work with the L32E, L33, L43, L45 processors as I understand.

Thanks. Based on the link in the other message, it appears it only works with the L1 processors? When I open CCW 9.0, it also only shows "Compactlogix L1" in the list of controllers. If so- that counts me out from the start!

Originally, PanelView 800 was planned to work only with Micro 800 and MicroLogix controllers.

Support for the CompactLogix 5370 family L1 controllers was added later in firmware 3.011, and it looks like Rockwell has added support for the L2 and L3 controllers to firmware version 4.012 of the PanelView 800.

Support for the L2 and L3 controllers was new information for me this morning !

Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase Article 774421: PanelView 800 Terminal: Communication with CompactLogix 5370 Controllers via Ethernet

I have just used V11 with a PV800 and compactlogix and the tags are easily brought in from the PLC into the CCW. Only problem is the use of CCW with the PV800.

Even using the grid, lines do not all draw straight, sometimes if you change a width then the line does not change. If you want to duplicate a screen you create a new screen and then copy all components fom the original and paste them on the new one however some of the lines then become barely visible although they are there. I ended up using a filled rectangle at min grid of 5 as even with the grid off you can not reduce the width of the rectangle below 5. Did the job but not elegant. There are better cheap HMIs to use with compactlogix such as C-More.

Line problem identified

After further investigation I have identified that lines and polylines are not snapping to grid when grid snap is turned on and this is the reason for lines not being straight. I have reported this to Rockwell who have escalated it.

NigelDun said:
I have just used V11 with a PV800 and compactlogix...Only problem is the use of CCW with the PV800...After further investigation I have identified that lines and polylines are not snapping to grid when grid snap is turned on and this is the reason for lines not being straight. I have reported this to Rockwell who have escalated it.

But so we are clear here, this issue has nothing to do with the fact that a CompactLogix controller is being used with a PanelView 800 terminal, as in not fully compatible? It's just that this was the reason the thread was started. Your issue is just to do with using CCW v11 with a PanelView 800 terminal, yes?

Which version of CCW are you using - v11.00 or v11.01?

As you have mentioned bringing in the tags from the controller "easily" I suspect you "might" already be on the patched v11.01, which introduced the CompactLogix/Micro800 tag import feature and it apparently fixes some known graphical issues. If you are not using the patched v11.01 then perhaps you could considering upgrading to it and see does it correct this graphical issue?

If you are already using it then your issue might be another one they need to patch for at a later date?

Some info on the CCW 11.01 patch upgrade and what it does...

1074652 - CCW Patch: Enhancement for Importing Tags from CompactLogix/Micro800 & Language List Export/Import, Mismatch/Missing Text
Access Level: Everyone

1074871 - Patch: Improves Micro800 Usability and resolves Workbench Install Issue, CCW v11
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

Thanks George. I am on V11.00.00 and was told it was the latest version by tech support so will download patch and see if this corrects problem and report back.

help about shows V11.00.00 but having read technote and looked in more info I have V11.01 so both of these patches are already installed and I am experiencing lines not snapping to grid.

PV800 are ok. Not great. Still a little overpriced for what they offer.

I would definitely recommend a different screen unless you are using an 800 series PLC - then the benefit is there to use the same software for both HMI/PLC.

My recommendations for inexpensive HMIs on a compact logix go in this order:

Maple Systems HMI
EZ screen HMI
C-More HMI
Panelview 800