New Laptop Time what to get

chainsaw2272

I would like to get some input from you experienced programmers as to what to look for in a new laptop used only for AB 5,500,5000, and factory talk software.We are locked in to Dell but generic info helps too.
Thanks Mike

If you a search for "laptop", a ton of threads comes up.

I would get something with at least 3 USB port, 15 or 17 inch screen, SSD, Hi-Cap battery, and 8GB+ ram.

A lot of people including me like the Lenovo T series. I think the current Dell equal is the Latitude 5000 series.

If you are locked into Dell, the Preciesion 5000 series or XPS.

512 SDD minimum, 16 GB ram minimim, stay away from the 4k displays, stick with 1080p as some programs don't scale properly.

MacBook Pro

I love mine. I think they have the best combination of performance, battery life, portability, and price versus similarly spec'd Windows machines. Not to mention support. I also use VMWare Fusion to run Rockwell software so as to be able to migrate the virtual machine whenever I upgrade, without requiring a total software reinstall.

Lenovo with a high-resolution display would be my choice of PC. Dell are hit-or-miss.

I don't know what kind of PLC hardware you are working with, but for a lot of the stuff we use, I specially request that we have a real serial port on it. That way you don't have to hassle with a USB to Serial converter or anything like that. Other than that, the other suggestions given previously work great. While I don't have anything with ssd's at work, my personal computer has the OS running on an SSD, and I can attest to the power. Nothing like being able to do a full restart from desktop to desktop in <12 seconds.

That is what I bought

MacBook Pro
It runs a long time on battery and has a more rugged aluminum case. I use Fusion ( VMWare ) to run WinXP VM. I can switch back and forth between OS X and Win XP with a swipe.

However, there is no direct Ethernet connection. The MacBook Pro assumes it will always be connected using wireless. Not a big deal. It has worked for me so far.

I was a guinea pig for a Lenovo laptop T430 2 years ago.

It has the longest lasting battery ever, even after 2 years of 6 day a week use, it still runs well over 2 hours on battery.

But I can't stand that it has no numerical keypad, which means I that cannot enter extended ASCII characters using Alt + numerical code, or Ctrl +Alt + numerical code for Dell style 'numbers superimposed over alpha keys", as shown below, with the numerical keys in blue

Dell_numerical_keypad_superimposed_on_alpha_keys.jpg

I typically use extended characters like
241 ± (plus minus)
248 ° (degrees)

I use those characters extensively and without the numerical keypad I have to find, select and copy them from Windows' character map rather than typing them by the numerical codes.

I just got a replacement Dell laptop that can do extended ASCII with its numerical keypad.

Dan

I don't know what kind of PLC hardware you are working with, but for a lot of the stuff we use, I specially request that we have a real serial port on it. That way you don't have to hassle with a USB to Serial converter or anything like that. Other than that, the other suggestions given previously work great. While I don't have anything with ssd's at work, my personal computer has the OS running on an SSD, and I can attest to the power. Nothing like being able to do a full restart from desktop to desktop in <12 seconds.

I used to thing a real serial ort was a must but I now have a good USB serial converter from www.plccable.com and haven't looked back

As for laptops I run 5 different VMS and my current dell has been lagging ( when running any vm) so I was looking at a new Dell. Ayers have treated me poorly and dell's good so I will stick with them most likely. I'm going to look at the links posted in here though.
My current lagging setup has 8gb of ram but no solid state drive and also dual core and the clock speed is lower. It did its job when I bought it and I will keep it for a spare. But my needs have increased. Lol

It runs a long time on battery and has a more rugged aluminum case. I use Fusion ( VMWare ) to run WinXP VM. I can switch back and forth between OS X and Win XP with a swipe.

However, there is no direct Ethernet connection. The MacBook Pro assumes it will always be connected using wireless. Not a big deal. It has worked for me so far.

I use a MacBook Pro - all you need is a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor and it runs like a built-in ethernet port without any issues.

+1 for VMWare Fusion too - beautifully stable and fast.

I use a MacBook Pro - all you need is a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor and it runs like a built-in ethernet port without any issues.

+1 for VMWare Fusion too - beautifully stable and fast.

I own a pair of these. You can use them as separate network interfaces (across different networks, too) or even team them using LACP.

Really handy when you would like your VM traffic separated.