converting DeviceNet to Ethernet/IP

NATHANP2326

i have a 1756 controllogix plc with a 1756-dnb device-net module controlling twenty 22b powerflex40 VFDs with 22-comm-d device-net comm boards. controls are setup on a panelview 1000 HMI. we are switching these 22-comm-d board with 22-comm-e Ethernet comm boards and switching them all to Ethernet control.

question is :unsure:... i have setup device-net and setup Ethernet, but never converted from one to the other and looking for help as to how to accomplish this task? i am hoping there aren't too many changes i would have to make to the ladder logic if any, as i am not the original programmer and there's a lot of logic to sift through.

any literature on this would be appreciated as well.

There will be alot of find/replace.
The devicenet maps to logical addresses through a map. The -e boards have an AOP associated with them. you'll need to replace all the I/O references to the DNET drives with the corresponding tag that will be created when you add the EIP boards to the project. the drives will function the same way, just a different way of Addressing.
For example Start may be L:2:O.D.0 and will need to be replaced with Drive01:O.Start

There doesn't really need to be much changed in the logic, usually. The DeviceNet software reads the data table of the drives and then drops that data into data tables or arrays in the PLC. The PLC simply handles what to do with the information after it's already there.

Especially since this is going from control logix, you should already have everything configured into 32 bit arrays through DeviceNet. All you need to do is look at the Networx program scan list, see where the data is going, and then configure your ethernet I/O to drop it's information in the same place.

Unless I'm missing something... should be a fairly easy process. If the logic program was just reading the devicenet IO directly, then yes, you will have to do find/replace all if the IO structure is different, but usually it's better practice to copy all the incoming data into an array first, then use the array addressing throughout the program. That way you only need to change the initial landing point to change everything in the program.

Last edited:
I do this a lot going from RIO drives to Ethernet drives. The main bits you use Start, Stop, Jog, Forward, Reverse, alarm, running/ready, alarm reset, speed reference and actual speed are all the same bit/word position.
You would create a new Ethernet drive. I try to keep the names the same when possible. If I have a M_K1A on RIO then I create a M_K1A_VFD on Ethernet. Then just search and replace I and O and make sure to check the scaling on the speed ref and actual speed feedback.
What's nice is the Logix is real easy to also setup data links so you can also get amps or fault codes or send the ramp times etc.