Connecting PLC to historian

imjohn

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a few machines which run independently of each other mainly using Allen Bradley micro850's I aim to get them to a central location to eventually collect data from them.

The current setup is the Micro850’s to a Stratix unmanaged switch which then goes to a HMI and a few powerflex’s.
My main question is what’s the best way of getting the PLC’s linked to a central location.

After doing some research I understand it’s best to keep the machines on their own VLAN which I understand and from reading seems easy enough to do. However, how do I allow only the PLC to speak to the L3 switch?

Edit:

After more research, I think the 1783-NATR could resolve this issue, opinions?

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with just connecting them all up to unmanaged switch without using VLAN or NATR.

NATR is useful in some circumstances such as transient connection to skids that all uses the same IP but unless you have a reason to segment the network, and not to say there may be many reasons to segment the network, don't make it more complicated then needed.

There's nothing wrong with just connecting them all up to unmanaged switch without using VLAN or NATR.

NATR is useful in some circumstances such as transient connection to skids that all uses the same IP but unless you have a reason to segment the network, and not to say there may be many reasons to segment the network, don't make it more complicated then needed.
The micro850's only has one ethernet port so connecting them to a switch wouldn't work without a module? My plan was to maybe to use the NATR to separate the ip's then go to a switch which will then go to the PC, would that work?