Issue communicating CP-342-5 with DeltaV

EHIRL

I'm a little new to the Automation Industry and I have encountered the following problem that advice would be greatly appreciated on: (I have spent about 4 Hours reading previous posts before writing this and tried a number of solutions without success)

I have a Siemens S7 (313 CPU) with an attached CP-342-5 (Ver 5.1) ProfiBus Card. I am trying to get this to interface with DeltaV to simply send & receive datablocks.

So far on the S7 side I have set it up as a slave (with test, comissioning box ticked) on address 2 at 1.5Mbps. I wasn't sure how to put in the DeltaV node station in NetPro so I put it in as 'Other Station' as in the attached image.

On the DeltaV Side I created everything on the ProfiBus Card (Address 1)down to the Signal. (See attahced Pictures)

After Downloading both systems one the DeltaV ProfiBus Card LEDs is flashing Orange and the 342-5 Card has the BusF light Flashing Red (Not good I know)

Diagnostics on DeltaV says communication error. Diagnostics on the S7 show that the DeltaV node is active but still isn't communicating. (Errors in attached image)

I know when I selected Slave on the S7 that it said 'if used as slave FC1 & FC2 must be called for data I/O exchange' I'm not doing this as OB1 is calling FC100 which then Calls FC5 & FC6 to do this. Ideally the S7 code should be left like this as the connection to DeltaV is an upgrade from the S7 currently sending the same datablocks to another PLC via ProfiBus which is being removed.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

9.PNG 2.PNG 6.PNG 8.PNG

What is "DeltaV" ? A drive ? A scada ? A sensor ? An actuator ? A gateway ?
What is the exact type no of the DeltaV device ?
Also, what is the exact type no of the Profibus card in the DeltaV if there is such a card installed ?

DeltaV is a DCS system (as far as I know)
I say keep it simple. Make the 343 a slave with an address. Forget the code for now
Put the 342 gsd in the DeltaV. Make sure your profibus addresses are correct
Download to S7 and whatever you do on DeltaV side. Then try to get green lights.
Use accessible nodes on the profibus network (put a laptop on the profibus wire and make sure you can see your addresses

I would try that first

Last edited:
If DeltaV is a Scada or DCS, it would be most obvious to connect to the S7 PLC via OPC.

I think we need detailed information before we can give any suggestions.

If DeltaV is a Scada or DCS, it would be most obvious to connect to the S7 PLC via OPC.

I think we need detailed information before we can give any suggestions.

DeltaV is a DCS so passing data blocks for control purposes via OPC wouldn't be appropriate.

Hi All,

DeltaV is indeed a DCS System, there is a DeltaV Controller with a ProfiBus card attached, the purpose is basically to bring the S7 Skid onto the DCS (Plantwide) and off an old SCADA system. The 342-5 GSD is loaded in DeltaV and seems to be fine. Wiring and addresses are fine and the S7 is set as a slave, diagnostics on the S7 show the DeltaV ProfiBus card being picked up. But there is some issue on the S7 side for sure as the BusF light is flashing and the issues in 8.png above are of main concern I think?

I think an issue may be in the S7 HW Config? How should the DeltaV master be put here? Link an 'Other Station' as I have done? (9.png)

Last edited:
If you must use DP master/slave and the S7 as slave:
You do not have to setup the the DeltaV as 'the' master in the S7 program.
You also do not have to setup the number of i/o bytes used for datatransfer between slave and master in S7. But you have to setup the number of i/o bytes in the master.
In the S7 program you have to use DP_SEND and DP_RECV. The number of bytes to send and fetch by DP_SEND and DP_RECV should match was is setup in the master.

No, you should not setup anything in NetPro for DP master/slave. NetPro is used for configuring master/master connections.

If you continue to have a BF on the CP342-5, you should investigate the diagnostics buffer (on the CP342-5, not the CPU).

Does DeltaV support OPC ?

Hello,

I did something similar some years ago with the exact same equipment on the Siemens side. 313C with 342-5 CP card. That was toward Kongsberg Maritime as Master controller, and us a Slave.

While working with Kongsberg, we did have some issues in the beginning. The main problem was that I had provided Kongsberg with the wrong GSD file for the 342-5 Slave CP card. Double check that you have the correct GSD file installed. The name of the one I used with a 342-5 CP card was siem80d6.

Also make sure that the CPLADDR addresses in the DP_SEND & DP_RECV are correct according to the one you have in the I & Q Addresses in the hardware configuration. The CPLADDR address is the Hex value of what you have in the hardware configuration.

The blocks also have a limit of 240 Bytes...

I remember Kongsberg told me that we had to use the card as a Passive Slave, so that I had to uncheck the "Test, commissioning, routing"... I'm not sure how much significance this actually had...

That was about it for the slave. I did not have to do much more.

Keep us updated on your progress :)

It's no longer work in progress as such , I changed the Profibus device from a 342-5 to a 315-2DP CPU which matches the project better but still haven't got this working....now to open a thread to troubleshoot that.....

Thanks to all who replied!