Hello all,

I have the following setup:

Workstation 1:

1. Studio 5000 Emulate
2. RSLinx Classic
3. Studio 5000

Workstation 2:
1. FactoryTalk View ME Station

Workstation 2 is running an HMI app, but this app doesn't see the Emulated PLC running on workstation 1.

I have both workstation connected to each other using an ethernet cable.

I fired up RSLinx classic on Workstation 2, and I do not see the Emulated PLC running on Workstation 1. If I run the HMI app on workstation 1 then everything works fine.

I can ping workstation 1 from workstation 2 and vice versa.

What am I doing wrong or what did I overlook?

Ok I've figured a little more about this, it is NOT straightforward...

1. RSlinx gateway license has to be loaded on the workstation hosting the RSLinx Gateway server

2. RSLinx Gateway has to be enabled, it is disabled by default, use this guide to enable [FONT=&quot]https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/0020487
[/FONT]

3. Then follow this guide [FONT=&quot]https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/62965[/FONT]

4. Disable firewalls on both remote and local workstation

Result: I did all that above and was able to see the emulated PLC on workstation 1 from workstation 2

Now another issue: FactoryTalk View Studio ME does not see the new drivers in Communication setup...

Man...Rockwell sure makes you work!

And here is the answer...

You can only use Emulate 5000 / Studio 5000 Logix Emulate with FactoryTalk View Site Edition or FactoryTalk View Machine Edition running on the same PC, you can not connect a PanelView Plus terminal to an Emulate 5000 controller

This is from Rockwell

Cheers everyone!

Since you have RSLinx Gateway, you can make this work.

On the machine with Emulate, open RSLinx and create an OPC topic that points to your emulated controller.

Then go to the other machine and in your ME application add an OPC Server. Point that to your RSLinx on the other PC.

Once you do this, your tag browser will show the OPC Topic you created in RSLinx.

OG

Hello all,

I have the following setup:

Workstation 1:

1. Studio 5000 Emulate
2. RSLinx Classic
3. Studio 5000

Workstation 2:
1. FactoryTalk View ME Station

Workstation 2 is running an HMI app, but this app doesn't see the Emulated PLC running on workstation 1.

I have both workstation connected to each other using an ethernet cable.

I fired up RSLinx classic on Workstation 2, and I do not see the Emulated PLC running on Workstation 1. If I run the HMI app on workstation 1 then everything works fine.

I can ping workstation 1 from workstation 2 and vice versa.

What am I doing wrong or what did I overlook?
Sounds like a networky problem?

What OS is each workstation on?

Check that the firewall is down on both machines
Check that you are on same network, may have to set static IPs on both if not connected to a DHCP router.

Can you ping between them?

Can you browse each machine on netwrok & map a to Administrative share ? (C$?)

Last week there was a discussion about this on another thread.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=131651

Jlandwerlen indicated that this does indeed work and posted a screenshot showing it working. I could not get that to work. Until today. But it took changing a setting to get this to work.

First, as mentioned in a post above, RA does not support this. I don’t think they intended for it to work as it does. For reference, I was using Emulate version 33, FT View Studio version 12.

On the remote computer open FT View application and open FT Linx Communications Setup. In the right-hand window right-click on the Ethernet driver and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab and check the box for “Listen on EtherNet/IP encapsulation ports”. I also re-ran the Windows Firewall Configuration Utility prior to this. I'm not sure if that was necessary.

After selecting this option, you should now be able to browse and see the remote FactoryTalk Linx Desktop. You can expand that and see the remote Backplane. Expand that and you should be able to see the emulated controller.

OG

Last edited:
Last week there was a discussion about this on another thread.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=131651

Jlandwerlen indicated that this does indeed work and posted a screenshot showing it working. I could not get that to work. Until today. But it took changing a setting to get this to work.

First, as mentioned in a post above, RA does not support this. I don’t think they intended for it to work as it does. For reference, I was using Emulate version 33, FT View Studio version 12.

On the remote computer open FT View application and open FT Linx Communications Setup. In the right-hand window right-click on the Ethernet driver and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab and check the box for “Listen on EtherNet/IP encapsulation ports”. I also re-ran the Windows Firewall Configuration Utility prior to this. I'm not sure if that was necessary.

After selecting this option, you should now be able to browse and see the remote FactoryTalk Linx Desktop. You can expand that and see the remote Backplane. Expand that and you should be able to see the emulated controller.

OG

Hello, I could not get it to work.

1. Workstation 1 still has gateway feature enabled
2. Workstation 2 RSlinx Remote Devices via Linx Gateway driver sees the Emulated PLC on Workstation 1

I open FactoryTalk View Studio on Workstation 2 and launch communication setup. I see two Ethernet drivers, I go to advanced in property and check “Listen on EtherNet/IP encapsulation ports” while highlighting the ethernet port.

I still could not see Workstation 1 and the emulated PLC underneath it. Windows firewall is still off on both workstation.

Should I attempt the OPC method you mention above?

Maybe try deleting the Ethernet driver in FT Linx Comms Setup. Then re-add it with the encapsulation setting. That will wipe out any history that driver has.

This may require specific versions. I'll try this with some older versions too and see if it works.

If you can't get it to work, I would go ahead and use OPC. I've used that method for years. And by the way, these two methods I've mentioned don't require the RSLinx "gateway" feature. But the OPC method does require a licensed version of RSLinx, not the free RSLinx Classic Lite.

OG

Last edited:
Maybe try deleting the Ethernet driver in FT Linx Comms Setup. Then re-add it with the encapsulation setting. That will wipe out any history that driver has.

This may require specific versions. I'll try this with some older versions too and see if it works.

If you can't get it to work, I would go ahead and use OPC. I've used that method for years. And by the way, these two methods I've mentioned don't require the RSLinx "gateway" feature. But the OPC method does require a licensed version of RSLinx, not the free RSLinx Classic Lite.

OG

Oh ok, I am using version 11 of FT Studio and v32 everything else.

Still didn't work. I'll try the OPC method now and report back.

I just tried the same on two PCs with different revs.

PC #1
Windows 7
FT View v11
Emulate v32

PC #2
Windows 10
FT View v10
Emulate v33

Using the same option to encapsulate in FT Linx, both were able to see the other computer's emulated controller.

OG

I just tried the same on two PCs with different revs.

PC #1
Windows 7
FT View v11
Emulate v32

PC #2
Windows 10
FT View v10
Emulate v33

Using the same option to encapsulate in FT Linx, both were able to see the other computer's emulated controller.

OG

Hmmm, I've attached a screen shot of the communication screen inside FT View Studio ME. It shows that I do see workstation 1 at 192.168.1.99 ....but no emulated PLC underneath it.

Capture.JPG