Rockwell Techconnect / Software Licensing Changes

You see BMW was planning a subscription to use the cars features you already paid for?
Want to use the heated seats you bought sign up per year for it.
Want to use your phone to open the door, sign up for that.

Rockwell last week took away Auto tune in Studio 5000 v33
It is now a $713 adder 1 use license

We already have this in ag. A lot of the autonomous features on tractors are becoming subscriptions.

We're also seeing the change to per unit (cow/acre) billing vs per entity. As farms consolidate, the software companies realized they were bleeding hard. I'd actually consider RA once in awhile if they had a program like this, where I only had to pay for the little I use.

@thewaterboy, is their new forum the "community" platform that everyone is migrating to? Ubiquiti and AutomationDirect did. I was asked to evaluate it for an ag software company and gave my 2 cents. I'm still an old school vbulletin lover, this is one of the fee places left with that feel. I get why they do it, it's focused on getting them data about their customers and giving them complete control, but I see little benefit for users.

I need to clarify my comments reading some of the responses.

I'm not against paying for tech support, we all charge our customer for it, directly or indirectly. It's just the way they are doing it making it hard to figure out if the problem is covered by which fee? Is it covered by :

TechConnect or ?
TechConnect with VFD Support or ?
Software Support/Subscription ?

With other software, say, AutoCad or an HMI package, it's different. The integration part is much more straight forward.

btw. our distributor assured me they are giving RA an earful as well and I encourage all you to talk to your local distributor as well.

FWIW, having been brought up on PLC-5, 133x drives, and other A-B control equipment, I have been more likely to be a defender, or at least not a vocal detractor, towards Allen-Bradley/Rockwell Automation (AB/RA). In my experience, the erosion of their hardware quality, and never-really-great software, was somewhat offset by their competitive support options and pricing, at least compared with other companies I have dealt with (e.g., Honeywell).

It appears that someone sees this support strategy as "leaving money on the table" when they can jump on the subscription-fee and pay-per-feature bandwagon.

It almost seems to follow the pattern of the legacy, US-based airlines. Back in the good-old-days the product (air travel) was pretty good, but options were limited and cost was high. Competition drove down prices and quality in response to marketplace pressures. Upstarts with better quality and pricing come along. Some legacy companies adapt better than others. Some go out of business. Same old story.

AB/RA seems now to be playing much like the airlines: Let's offer first class, business class and coach. Charge the business traveler as much as we can get out of them, where the "business traveler" is the long-time AB/RA customer with so much inertia they (management) doesn't want to take the risk of changing to a better, lower cost product. AB/RA creates complicated pricing schemes to extract more money for basically the same, if not inferior, products and services. No one really knows how much anyone else is paying, like two people next to each other in coach class with vastly different ticket prices.

It will be interesting to see if, and for how long, this strategy will work for them, especially now that they are no longer in a position of technical strength with their controls equipment. Being on the verge of the "great resignation," I doubt I will be on the front lines to see what happens.