Price Increase

Rson

Yikes. Things are really starting to get crazy. Siemens had across-the-board price increases at the start of the year and now Rockwell:

7% across the board increase. 2% "Shipping & Handling" fee across the board.

If they weren't the most readily available option at the moment, I'd certainly entertain other manufacturers. Unfortunately, everyone seems to be jacking up prices across the board on everything.

I was told its going to be 10%, I have a few that I ordered 'special' for customers and they backed out after I got them in, 5069 and 2711p series they were no supply but still a demand and they tripled in price

I was told its going to be 10%, I have a few that I ordered 'special' for customers and they backed out after I got them in, 5069 and 2711p series they were no supply but still a demand and they tripled in price

It sort of is. 6.9% across-the-board. 1.9% Shipping & Handling surcharge on each order.

Disney's crowd control strategy, for years, was been straight out of economics 101: raise ticket prices enough that only X number of people are interested in going to the park. If it gets too crowded, they just raise ticket prices again until the crowds are thinned out. Demand too high? Increase prices until it matches the desired level of supply.

Honestly, the way demand for automation components has skyrocketed the past few years, I'm surprised that prices haven't gone up more than they already have. Covid caused a market dip in early 2020 but I've been hearing that depending on the type of product, orders this winter are up anywhere from 50% to 100% of last year, which is bonkers.

Last edited:
I'm more baffled about how strange the availability is. AB contactors for example, out of a whole range of sizes the 22kw size is due august, the 27,5kw is in march and the rest in stock.

The chip shortage doesn't help either (supply and demand). I was told by Beckhoff that 2022 is going to be worse than 2021 in terms of the chip shortages affecting vendors being able to fill orders. We ordered 2 VFDs from Bosch Rexroth back in December and just received notice that the lead time to receive them has been pushed out another two months, which puts us in August. That's 8+ months from the time we placed the order. Before COVID hit, we would have had those VFDs within 4-6 weeks. Craziness.

I'm more baffled about how strange the availability is. AB contactors for example, out of a whole range of sizes the 22kw size is due august, the 27,5kw is in march and the rest in stock.

Apart from Powerflex drives & Panelviews, I haven't seen a long lead on most items - with the exception of a couple of really odd ones.

For instance - Normally Closed screw contacts on 800-F pushbuttons were like 2 months out a little while ago. The front-mounted contact block on a 140M was like 3 months out.

The chip shortage doesn't help either (supply and demand). I was told by Beckhoff that 2022 is going to be worse than 2021 in terms of the chip shortages affecting vendors being able to fill orders. We ordered 2 VFDs from Bosch Rexroth back in December and just received notice that the lead time to receive them has been pushed out another two months, which puts us in August. That's 8+ months from the time we placed the order. Before COVID hit, we would have had those VFDs within 4-6 weeks. Craziness.

We placed a large order for some Molex cables in Feb. of 2021. Two weeks ago it was pushed back another month to April. A year and two months (assuming they don't push it back again) We obviously substituted with other items since then.

I think we have some VFDs that we ordered in December that we aren't supposed to get until August.

Unfortunately it's not going to get better any time soon. Supply and demand. If they have it, they know you'll pay for it. Every company is running into supply issues now. It is crazy to me seeing lead times of 16-20 weeks. I used to always use 8-12 weeks as the worst case scenario.