********Device won't ping after changing default IP******

saultgeorge

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, folks,

So....I'm working on a projection weld cell (ped welders) and configuring the hardware. I've got a lot of it done, but much more ahead.

9 welders, 2 FANUC robots, a conveyor, camera, operator load station with it's own welder the robot doesn't access, a reject station and cart and 2 safety gates. I got put on this during the first part of the build with a template, and the logic seems to be about 75% done. Studio 5000 v.33.01. L73S with a safety partner. Point I/O.

Problem: each welder has a Proteus Water saver - ProteusWater 5 to be exact.
So using the manual, one configures these by using a default IP address in a browser, changing the IP to what one wants, cycling power and voilà!!
So here's how it really goes. The default IP isn't correct in the manual. Another engineer gave me a heads up on this. Put in the right default and a page comes up but one is unable to make changes. One then adds "/network.cgi" after the address instead of leaving the link "/index.cgi", hit enter and one can make changes. Then cycle power and check it by opening a browser with the new IP, put in network in the address and one ought to be able to see the address, which on the first water saver I did.

When I tried this on the second one it didn't do anything at all. Tried for quite a while. So I checked my cable and also tried to ping the first one. Last three are .147. Nothing.

So here's my puzzle. Never mind the second one--not only could I not ping the first one, with no ethernet cable hooked up to it, linx is showing it running--no triangle. The other 8 have triangles. I have an HP laptop, full admin, firewall not on, not on the network (stand alone except for wifi) I've never experienced this. I'm thinking it's something in the laptop, but I'm not sure. Of course I'm using a static IP address with my cable directly into the device, no router etc. One-on-one.
I want to see the IP addresses that are in the water savers, default or otherwise. Someone told me Wireshark and I tried it but I don't have a lot of experience with it. A youtube video showed using Wireshark to find an unknown static IP in a device which is what I need, however the results of the scan and how to filter them are unclear.
I'm not going through a switch and not using a gateway. Thanks for any direction you folks may be able to provide.
Respectfully,

do you know the MAC address of the missing device? you might be able to get Wireshark to filter on that and find what it thinks its IP address is.

I'm not quite sure what the section of your post about triangles and RSLinx is saying; I got a little lost in pronoun antecedents there.

I general, the two low-level display filters you will use in Wireshark are "arp" and "dhcp". Filter for either of them by entering "dhcp or arp" into the display filter field in Wireshark.

If you have a direct connection between your PC and the device, then all the traffic on the network has to be from one of them, after all.

Also remember that while we're very accustomed to devices supporting "auto-MDX" and giving you a valid Ethernet link no matter which type of cable you use, not everything does. Be sure that your PC and/or the device give you a link activity indicator light, and/or get a simple unmanaged switch to plug them both into.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for such a speedy response. No, MAC address doesn't show either on the label or in the field in network configurations. Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what the section of your post about triangles and RSLinx is saying; I got a little lost in pronoun antecedents there.

I general, the two low-level display filters you will use in Wireshark are "arp" and "dhcp". Filter for either of them by entering "dhcp or arp" into the display filter field in Wireshark.

If you have a direct connection between your PC and the device, then all the traffic on the network has to be from one of them, after all.

Also remember that while we're very accustomed to devices supporting "auto-MDX" and giving you a valid Ethernet link no matter which type of cable you use, not everything does. Be sure that your PC and/or the device give you a link activity indicator light, and/or get a simple unmanaged switch to plug them both into.

Ken

Thanks so much. I'll try that tomorrow with Wireshark. And I've always used a small unmanaged switch but usually when there were 2 or more of us wanting on a device. That will probably work. I've experienced that in the past with the switch helping with the link.
Oh and sorry. By the "triangles" I meant the "triangles of death" next to ethernet modules and devices in the controller organizer. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
If you knew the mac address and you’re only using layer 2 network switches, you could make a manual arp table entry on your pc and you should be able to connect that way.

If you knew the mac address and you’re only using layer 2 network switches, you could make a manual arp table entry on your pc and you should be able to connect that way.

Yes however I don't know the MAC address on that module. I'm going to use my switch and hopefully that will solve my problem. Thanks.

Usually, on industrial equipment that uses ethernet, the MAC address is printed or labelled somewhere on the outside of the equipment.

Hi thanks for your response. One would think. I've seen very little hardware that didn't have that information on it and and this is one of them. Not on the label, not anywhere on the outside and when you go to the network settings/configuration there is a field for it but it is empty.

I'm getting ready to try again with my switch. That would have been better in the beginning. I'll post an update soon.

You didnt get any result from wireshark and checking the ARP table ?

I dont have experience with this but I think this could be a way.
A switch creates and ARP table for all the devices that are connected on its ports. If you have a managed switch you can monitor its internal ARP table and thus get the MAC address of the device that way.

Does your subnet mask match what the unit is using?

Yes it is. It's on my static IP but I am going through a web browser interface for this module.

You didnt get any result from wireshark and checking the ARP table ?

I dont have experience with this but I think this could be a way.
A switch creates and ARP table for all the devices that are connected on its ports. If you have a managed switch you can monitor its internal ARP table and thus get the MAC address of the device that way.

I'm still working with the unmanaged switch we don't have a managed switch here. I had to get some other hardware configured and I'll be back on the water savers either this afternoon or tomorrow. Thanks.

The PC and the device must be on the same subnet so they can communicate.

If you have assigned to the device an IP outside the range of the PC subnet then you will have lost communication with it.

The solution is to provisionally change the IP of the PC, in the IPV4 network properties of the adapter, to one within the subnet of the device.

Also remember that a normal ethernet cable does not work to connect directly from PC to device without a switch, you should use a switch or use a crossover ethernet cable

Last edited:
***solved!***

The PC and the device must be on the same subnet so they can communicate.

If you have assigned to the device an IP outside the range of the PC subnet then you will have lost communication with it.

The solution is to provisionally change the IP of the PC, in the IPV4 network properties of the adapter, to one within the subnet of the device.

Also remember that a normal ethernet cable does not work to connect directly from PC to device without a switch, you should use a switch or use a crossover ethernet cable

Hi, I will note that. I have always used a crossover or a switch.

Anyway I wanted to thank everyone for their attention, help and knowledge. I have learned a LOT of things on this forum. I only hope someday to help someone else.

So...The short answer - there is a configuration tool that was in the job folder that no one told me about. Another engineer today used it and showed me and !voila!--done! It basically resembles the Turck service tool configuration page. You open the tool, select a communication connection, do a search for available addresses. When one pops up, it has the MAC, IP, subnet, etc. The IP's were the default IP's provided, go figure.
Perhaps there are firmware issues with that series modules that don't play well with the web browser although I got one to work from the browser.
Double-click on the search result, select change IP address, change it, it asks if you want to reset the module, click OK and you're all done. One must also power cycle the module 24 vdc power. Works great.
I'm a little disappointed Proteus' tech support didn't recommend this configuration packet. Even though I had it, I would have dug into it and they could've told me where this tool was. There're EDS files in there too.
Yet another engineer (there are 3 cells) said all of his went just fine with the web browser. Oh well water under the bridge and lessons learned. I hope this customer likes the tool they designed and we built and make a lot of parts.

Thanks again all and have a great summer! :site: