On-site right now: Editing Logix500 upload file, combining it with the original later

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm onsite right now and I'm trying to decide how to proceed. I need to make some major edits to the Micrologix 1400 file, but the guy with the original file is on vacation. I have a much earlier version on my laptop, so I can get some comments to show up, but a lot is missing. I wrote the program on his computer, so I know enough about the structure to be productive. I'm trying to decide if I should work on the file today, or wait until he gets back... spare time is a premium right now, so I'd like to work on it today. But I've never tried to marry my edits to the original file after the fact. What do you guys recommend? Would I need to use the Compare Tool later on? Thoughts?

if you don't have the up-to-date documentation, then you might have to repair some rung comments that get out of sync after merging new logic into the existing program.

I would work on it today, but I would not try to port edits from a current file into an older version file. Instead when he gets back I would export the comments from his file into the now-current version you now upload/edit.

EDIT: Note that any rungs you add in the middle of routines will desync later rung comments that are imported, requiring manual correction

Last edited:
Just upload what he has in the processor.

Add comments to known things that you need comments for (I wouldn't think it's likely you would need 100% of the comments if you aren't changing every bit of the program).

maybe when you make the changes, note what they are so you can then go back to the original file when you get it. then copy/paste those edits over using the original so it doesn't mess up any original commenting like said.

I've had to work through no comments and descriptions before, then use a known good file with comments later, but I can't say i've ever lost descriptions or comments on things by doing that.

Thanks! I'm still deciding, but I'm looking at what Tim Wilborne has on the topic while I'm deciding. (Good ole' Tim!)

Fortunately, they have another machine with encoder issues, and I might shift to that.

I'm going to punt until the guy gets back. I'm just making more work by going this route, and the machine is available to work on all next week.

Thanks, everyone. I've learned a few good things about this topic.

At my company (small, 16 people) we have a repository for all the jobs and service calls we've done. So your co-worker should of left the file on a server for you to grab, not left it on his laptop

If any company has a network server then every project should be in an Equipment folder. PLC & HMI programs, copies of schematics and operators manuals, VFD and servo parameters, etc.

Plus have your boss order a bunch of 4GIG flash drives, put all the files for one machine on one and hang it inside the control panel. Keep it and the network archive current every time a PLC is accessed, even if it is just a data upload for current settings and values.