PVPlus 1000 won't load runtime

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. Sure hope someone can help with this. I have a system down because it is dependent upon its PV1000 and operator inputs to run it. I had an older one die and I am trying to get the .mer stuffed into the new one and getting no where fast. I have the .mer on a thumbdrive, plug it into the PV however, the external storage remains gray. I use this thumbdrive to store all of my runtime files so I know it isn't the thumbdrive, especially since I just uploaded the .mer from a similar machine to it. I download the file from my laptop and it auto runs the file and keeps getting stuck on the Alarms part of the startup. I have deleted all of the data log files....it has worked in the past however, it won't go. With production do to begin shortly I am a little stressed. Any help would be awesome. Thx

I know the external storage will remain greyed out if the file is already loaded onto the PV however, there are probably 30 different .mer' on this thumbdrive.

Older PanelView Plus' had a terrible time with USB as external storage. I think occasionally, they'd mount as "external storage 3", which wasn't an option from the menu.

It sounds like it is trying to start but maybe something is corrupted. This is a long shot, but try making a new copy of the application using the application manager. Then test the application from your computer before trying to download it.

In the meantime, what is the firmware version of the PanelView and what software version are you running?

That's a great point, dmroeder. I think that Windows CE creates a new "\USB StorageX" enumeration for each USB storage device you plug in.

Another method you could try is running an autorun.bat file on the USB drive's root directory that copies the files to the Runtime directory.

The syntax is described in the RA Knowledgebase, article ID QA6249.

Of course you'll substitute "\USB Storage" for "\storage card2". You might be able to figure out that enumeration by just running an "echo %CD%" or "echo %~dp0" command in your batch file.

For the PV+ 5.10 and earlier terminals:

@echo off
echo Copying MER File...
copy "\Storage Card2\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\<name_of_the_MER_file>" "\storage card\rockwell software\rsviewme\Runtime\<name_of_the_MER_file>"
echo The process is complete.
exit

For PV+6 and later:

@echo off
echo Copying MER File...
copy "\Storage Card2\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\<name_of_the_MER_file>" "\application data\rockwell software\rsviewme\Runtime\<name_of_the_MER_file>"
echo The process is complete.
exit

Last edited:
it may be that the new terminal has a newer firmware version than the one that died. if so, it may not recognize the older mer file. we had that happen on one terminal and had to rebuild the application for the firmware.
james

I think the terminal has to get to the point where it transfers and tries to open the *.MER before it would notice a firmware incompatibility.

PV+ has been pretty good about backward compatibility, running old Runtimes on newer firmware. But of course when you're trying to get something running in a hurry it's easy to get turned around on what's running what.

Perhaps it is easier than all this... The .MER must be in a specific folder for your PV to see it. It must be in this folder:

\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime

OG