Tuning a new servo motor

kckku

I always thought that it's a good idea to tune a new servo motor but some people at work doesn't think so. We recently had to replace a bad servo motor that drives a linear axis. I mentioned to them that I think you have to tune new motor before running it but somehow they didn't do this.

What's the right answer?

Always a good idea to tune the drive/motor when replacements are introduced. It's quick, easy and goes a long way for system optimization.

Is the new motor an identical part number to the original ?

In most systems, the motor data is stored in the motion controller or servo controller. If that data is still stored, and the new motor is physically the same as the old one, then there's no need to re-tune the system. The commutation and feedback and resolution and signal and inertia and magnetics are all the same.

Certainly sometimes a motor fails because other parts of the system have degraded or changed, and tuning the motor to account for new loads or dynamics is appropriate.

And I have worked on systems that were so sensitive that replacing a blade or bearing would require re-tuning.

But in general, just replacing a motor does not require re-tuning a servo controller if there have been no other changes.

I was going to post what Ken did but he beat me to it.

However it could be dependent on the motor and drive. And really, you are not "tuning the motor" but the system.

Some older systems could require you to find the commutation offset of the motor if the motor manufacturer does not set them all the same or if you sent it to a repair house that doesn't know what they are doing. The drive needs to know the location of the windings in the motor with respect to the motor feedback so that it can properly excite (commutate) the motor. When required there is usually a procedure in a manual that explains the steps to do this.

The motor that is being replaced is the same as the original. This is an Omron servo motor and I think the parameters are stored in the servo drive. In this case I think you are right and I don't actually have to tune the motor again if nothing else has changed.

In this particular case, the bearings on the linear axis failed over time and they put in a new axis. The old servo motor seized and doesn't want to move when everything was put back together. Not exactly sure what caused this but I was asked about replacing the motor. Maybe the failing axis caused damage to the motor? Not 100% sure.

Anyway if they are putting in a new linear axis and motor then I think they will need to tune the system again? The part numbers for the motor and the axis are the same but the parts are physically different with them both being new.