micrologix 1400 and sure servo

irondesk40

has anyone controlled the speed and distance a sure servo servo motor would run with a micrologix 1400?
Have inherited a unfinished project and it has a micrologix 1400 plc and a automation direct sure servo drive and motor and will need to be able to tell the servo motor which direction to run, speed and distance from the micrologix 1400.
Have never used a sure servo but did a quick look at the web site and it says it can be controlled using Modbus.
If anyone willing to share any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

I did a project several years ago with a MicroLogix 1400 and two SureServo drives. I wired it for pulse/direction control and also through RS-485. I ended up programming using Modbus command over the RS-485 in order to be able to do homing.

I do not have the schematics with me right now, but I do remember an AB device that connected to the port on the ML1400 and it broke out the RS-485 connections.

Thanks Archie
Have never used one of the sure servo units and have never worked with Modbus. The servo applications we have done have been with control logix and the kinetic 300 drive.

This machine has a Micrologix 1400 and a maples HMI so pretty confused at the moment as to how to control it with Modbus.

Thanks Archie
Just downloaded it and will take a look.
I have also considered possibly trying to replace the Maples HMI with a Red Lion HMI since I have used a Red Lion in the past to communicate with a Control Technique Servo Drive and a Micrologix PLC and change speed and distance on a fly.
Only problem is at the moment not sure how to connect a cable from the Micrologix 1400 to the Modbus port on the Sure Servo and basically got no answers from Automation Direct. About the only thing they say is you should use a Automation Direct PLC.

Here is a drawing of how to connect the ML1400 directly to the servo drive along with register settings. It uses the AB 1763-NC01 and the AutomationDirect SVC-MDCOM-CBL

Thanks a million, trying to look this stuff over and complete a auto bagging machine that has a Omron and Yaskawa servo in it and your post have been a great help.
I looked over the sample program you posted and it has been very valuable and helping to get a quick grasp how Modbus comms work. To be honest have never worked with Modbus.

Also in the sample program you posted I see in the Data Files that you defined
N22:61 as Final Position Pulses.
Could you explain this if possible.
The best I can tell I will be operating the sure sevo in Absolute Mode - Tell it which position to go to and then return back to original start (Home Position).
I would define the Position, Speed, Velocity, etc.

I did a Sure Servo project a couple of years ago using Modbus communications to a DL06. The Sure Servo has a group of Modbus addresses that you can copy any of the servo parameters into, velocity command, actual velocity, position command, actual position, etc. Then in the PLC you set up a single Modbus Read command to that area to get all of the servo data you need into the PLC. Repeat the read command upon successful completion. When you need to change something in the servo, issue a Modbus Write command to the appropriate address. I used PLC outputs wired to Sure Servo discrete inputs to trigger the moves.

Thanks to you guys for the reply. Has been very helpful. After looking over the sample I now have a lot better grasp of how the addressing works with the Modbus.
The sample that Archie posted is something he should contact Automation Direct and offer to sell them. Excellent sample, without having a lot of spare time and only able to take a quick look at the manuals during lunch it saved me a lot of time.
Not sure about others but sample programs are a great source when trying to figure out something.

Have to admit this site is awesome. I know sometimes folks such as myself ask what appears as dumb questions but glad there are folks on this site that are very helpful.

Something else to note is the drawing I posted was for 2 drives connected using RS485. If you only have one drive, then it may be possible to use RS232 and not need the NC01 break out adaptor. In the SureServo user manual chapter 6 shows some wiring configurations for RS232.

On another note, the SureServo drive is just a re-branded Delta servo drive. I did another application using the exact same setup but with a Delta ASD-AB servo drive.

http://www.deltaww.com/Products/CategoryListT1.aspx?CID=060201&PID=199&hl=en-US&Name=ASDA-AB Series

thanks, I thought it was a delta or yaskawa, asked AD but they would not tell.
Would be a pretty awesome drive to use due to the price on a lot of projects if it only had Ethernet communications and AOI type instructions for the Allen Bradley compact logix drive. Really like the compact logix and the Kinetics line of drives.

Archie
Did you connect a termination resistor between Term and A on the breakout cable box
Technically there should be a 120Ohm resistor at each end of the cable. But I cannot remember if resistors were put on the system I did. Since the only place to put a resistor would be at the NC01, it's really not possible to put one on both ends.If the cables are very short, I find the system will work fine without resistors.