CIP Safety communication ControlLogix KUKA KRC4 robot

taylor1982

Hello,

I need to establish a CIP safety communication to a KUKA KRC4 robot. The KUKA has the IP 192.168.11.53.

I already established a standard communication to the robot and this is working fine. For that I used the generic ethernet module.

For the CIP safety communication I added the generic safety ethernet module. But it´s not possible to choose the same IP address like for the standard communication (duplicate IP error).

Does anybody know how we can handle this?

Thanks!

In the past I had this issue with a Fanuc robot. There were a couple of solutions.

- Add a second ethernet card to the logix rack. Add the generic safety device to one card and the other non-safe generic device to the second ethernet card.
- Add a DNS server to the network. Use the direct IP of the robot in the generic safety device and the Hostname of the robot in the non-safety generic device. Only one ethernet card was needed. This solution we used in the end because the Fanuc robot itself could serve as a DNS server. But this solution was not optimal.

Also I have read in the release notes of Studio 5000 V29 that there now should be one combined safety/non-safety generic device available.

In the past I had this issue with a Fanuc robot. There were a couple of solutions.

- Add a second ethernet card to the logix rack. Add the generic safety device to one card and the other non-safe generic device to the second ethernet card.
- Add a DNS server to the network. Use the direct IP of the robot in the generic safety device and the Hostname of the robot in the non-safety generic device. Only one ethernet card was needed. This solution we used in the end because the Fanuc robot itself could serve as a DNS server. But this solution was not optimal.

Also I have read in the release notes of Studio 5000 V29 that there now should be one combined safety/non-safety generic device available.

Thank you so much for your replies. I am using V24. I had contact with the KUKA support yesterday.
There is a AOP package available from KUKA which provides a combined safety/non-safety ethernet module. I tested this and it works fine!

Here the link for the AOP package

https://www.kuka.com/-/media/kuka-downloads/manual-upload/kuka-robotics-aop-v16release.zip

Best regards

Minimum version for GuardLogix/Studio/RSLogix

Thank you so much for your replies. I am using V24. I had contact with the KUKA support yesterday.
There is a AOP package available from KUKA which provides a combined safety/non-safety ethernet module. I tested this and it works fine!

Here the link for the AOP package

https://www.kuka.com/-/media/kuka-downloads/manual-upload/kuka-robotics-aop-v16release.zip

Best regards

What is the version required to use this AOP from Kuka? I mean the version for StudioLogix and/or RSLogix.

Thank you;

If the Controllogix/Compactlogix is a Guardlogix PLC (newer versions don't necessarily have a safety partner; it depends on the safety rating needed) AND the KRC4 has a CIP Safety option (this is an option with Fanuc and ABB robots) then yes, safety signals can be exchanged over Ethernet/IP.

Last edited:
The only links on this thread were kuka and robot-forum and I just deleted the latter... It was in context, by a member in good standing and seems innocent enough but maybe just posting the non-hyperlinked name would be a better idea.