Panelview plus 1000 compact, use of DataStorePLus ActiveX

mizaro

Hello : can anyone tell me how can use the ActiveX with this terminal, I'm trying to use it, but I receive the error message "ME ActiveX control not found on computer" and "Unable to Load ActiveX control for display DataStorePlus",
I think this is because the ActiveX is not in the panelView, anybody knows how to install this ActiveX to the PanelView plus 1000 compact ???
I will appreciate all the answers.... Thanks

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

What is the full catalog number for the PanelView Plus Compact 1000 terminal?

2711PC-xxxxxx

Regards,
George

Last edited:
it is a tag, panel View Plus 1000, assembled terminal 2711PC-T10C4D1,
in another tag, PanelView Plus Logic Module 2711PC-RP1 and
in other tag, 2711P-RDT10C...
thanks for your reply...

If you have a panel with firmware 5.1, then you must download and install the ActiveX application manually to the panel.

Rockwell's Knowledgebase topic 724760 details this version.

Firmware versions 6.0 and up have the ActiveX feature by default. These Knowledgebase topics are very helpful:

Thanks,. This panel View Plus 1000, 2711PC-T10C4D1, is using firmware 5.10.16.09 ( CPR 9 SR2 ) and can not find any more firmware updates... do you know how to load the datastoreplus active x to this unit?

I'd forgotten there were pre-v6 PV+ Compact terminals.

Yes, that's the issue. You need the specific ActiveX components for v5.10 terminals, not the ones for v6 or v7.

If you have FactoryTalk View Studio later than v5.1 on your computer, you'll have to go to the Knowledgebase and follow the instructions for registering, replacing (in the application ) and installing the appropriate ActiveX objects.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/117375

The download link for the 5.1 DataStore app is in the Knoledgebase topic 724760. The application is loaded to the compact flash card. It will install when the panel boots up.

Careful: Do not mix up older Compact terminals with CE terminals...

mizaro said:
...panel View Plus 1000, assembled terminal 2711PC-T10C4D1...

My apologies. I was busy and had forgotten to come back to you on this.

The reason I specifically wanted to know the catalog number for the terminal, besides it being a prerequisite question here on the Forum, was to determine if it was an older PanelView Plus Compact or a newer PanelView Plus 6 Compact terminal -

2711PC-T10C4D1 is an older PanelView Plus Compact 1000 terminal. At the software level, these terminals only support FactoryTalk View Machine Edition runtime and do not support or run the Windows CE Operating System. The Windows CE OS is required to support ActiveX Controls, among other features. An older "PanelView Plus CE" terminal would have been required to run ActiveX Controls. There were no PanelView Plus CE 400/600 terminals provided, only 700-1500 models and one of these CE terminals would have been required to run ActiveX Controls prior to the release of the "PanelView Plus 6 Compact" terminals...

PanelView Plus 6 Compact terminals run Windows CE 6.0 OS and so fully support ActiveX Controls, and other CE level features. The older PanelView Plus Compact terminals were only available as 400, 600 or 1000 models. There were no PanelView Plus Compact 700-1500 models. Likewise, the newer PanelView Plus 6 Compact terminals are also only provided as 400, 600, or 1000 models. But, they all run Windows CE 6.0 OS and so all support ActiveX Controls.

But that is not what you have, I'm afraid.

I think folks, that my technote trumps all the others?...

63165 - PanelView Plus Compact: FactoryTalk View Compact Machine Edition Application Limitations
Access Level: Everyone

Note the last bullet point half way down the technote: -

FactoryTalk ViewPoint, ActiveX, and VNC is supported only on PanelView Plus 6 Compact terminals

If you will also review the two User Manuals linked at the bottom of the technote, for both the legacy PanelView Plus Compact and newer PanelView Plus 6 Compact terminals, you will notice that there is no reference to the Windows CE OS under the Software Support section for the legacy terminals, whereas there is extensive mention of the Windows CE OS for the 6 Compact terminals; both under the Software Support section, and throughout the manual.

The references to pre v6 versions of the DataStore Plus ActiveX Control in technote 724760, and "Legacy" ActiveX Controls in technote 117375, are referring to versions of ActiveX Controls which would be used with the older PanelView Plus CE 700-1500 terminals, and not the older non-CE PanelView Plus Compact terminals, which we are dealing with here. Any references to using FactoryTalk View ME v5.10 with ActiveX Controls are specific to applications created and run on Windows CE terminals only.

Legacy PanelView Plus CE terminals (700-1500) - CE in name; Full CE support (Full ActiveX Controls)
Legacy PanelView Plus Compact terminals (400/600/1000) - Compact in name; * No CE support (No ActiveX Controls)
New PanelView Plus 6 Compact terminals (400/600/1000) - Compact in name; Full CE support (Full ActiveX Controls)

* This is why you received the error messages you mentioned in your opening post.

Regards,
George

I'm trying to access the Knoledgebase topic 724760, but it is telling me is a "'Locked answer" and i need a TechConnect contract...

mizaro said:
so, if i understand correctly, this mean, i can not use the datastoreplus active x with this PV, it is correct?...

That is, unfortunately, correct.

G.