Studio 5000 v32 Trending RSLinx Error - Ran into strange issue and got around it

linkdude64

This forum post I found seemed to reference the same issue, and if posts were still allowed on that thread, I might make an account there to post this, but here we are.

reddit.com/r/PLC/comments/dj6r0x/rslogix5000_trends_cant_open_spcified_rslinx/f42ixbr/

RSLinx driver diagnostics showed all kinds of errors "Can't set port type to 288", "can't read port type", "harmony failed", "no harmony port for this ip address", "can't open the specified RSLinx driver" and the like. (Screenshots below)

The situation was thus: I went online with a PLC in Studio 5000 using an existing .ACD file, and I wanted to create a trend for troubleshooting purposes. I was able to create the trend file, add pens, etc. but when I tried to run it, an error appeared "Can't open the specified RSLinx driver." Eh? What's RSLinx have to do with a trend? Tried changing the path within the program, tried creating a new RSLinx driver and reconnecting to it there, tried opening/closing RSLinx...everything but deleting the Harmony files, which I don't have security access to delete, but anyway, on to the path which bore fruit:

Under "Select Recent Communications Path" filtering via the checkbox "Show Only Paths Matching Serial Number in Project" excluded my current path out of the list. I closed the .ACD file I was using and uploaded to a new file (I had connected using an existing .ACD) and it defaulted to a completely different file name. Saving that file, opening it, and then creating the trend using THAT file worked - I am able to run my trends, now. What a relief...

Figure this might help some poor soul in the future - thanks to all for your help over the years. Cheers!

2021-09-26 14_32_52-Driver Diagnostics for CAN_LINE_65.png 2021-09-26 14_32_29-Driver Diagnostics for CAN_LINE_65.png 2021-09-26 14_31_43-Logix Designer - QF21G3_118_v32 in LA65_MP_MultiPacker65_1.ACD [1756-L82ES 3.png 2021-09-26 14_43_07-Select Recent Communications Path.png

This man lurked for 3 years, then made his first post as a PSA when he found a poorly-documented issue and then solved it.

Legend.

This man lurked for 3 years, then made his first post as a PSA when he found a poorly-documented issue and then solved it.

Legend.

Well THIS man lurked for *counts on fingers how long ago July was...* two months, then made HIS first post a PSA about a PSA!!!

Mythic!!! :D

Just dropping in to say thanks, this helped me yesterday.

To add my 2c: I had a program called, say, "Line1Processing" that I was commissioning. Each morning I would copy and paste the program file and append today's date, so that I had a series of files from the end of each day to refer back to if needed. So my file today was called Line1Processing_20220513. Tried to run a trend and got the same error, found this post, renamed the file back to Line1Processing, and trends were all good. So it may not be necessary to upload per se, just to change the file name. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I changed the file name back to the file name that had been used for the initial download/upload, or that I changed it back to match the processor name in the program. If you were to do an upload, you'd get a file that both (a) matches the processor name, and (b) is the same file name that you uploaded with, so it could be either.

Legend.

reticentnova,

You are the definition of the saying... "Man of few words" or Lurker

You joined us in 2014 but made your first post in 2022.... I would say welcome to the forum but you are seasoned :D

But welcome anyway!

few words.png

Just wanted to pass along what worked for me. After trying a few solutions, including the one here, I ran across Rockwell TechNote 1086638. Apparently Studio 5000 v31 and later had a menu selection of "Select Communication Software" added. This would let users choose wither RSLinx Classic or FactoryTalk Linx to use. Unfortunately, selecting FTLinx changes a setting in Windows registry that prevents trends in v30 and before from functioning.

They provided a couple solutions, but the easiest for me was to change the value of this registry key from "2" to "1" while the trend is NOT loaded:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\Trend Server\Communications\RSLinxEdition

I'm so surprised it's programmed not to just simply crash or not work, but instead prompt that an RSLinx driver couldn't be loaded, and not give information about as to why that is. "RSLinx couldn't load...because I'm trying to load from the only alternative, FTLinx" Would've been helpful! I no longer work for the employer where I had my issue, so cannot test the registry value (if I'd even have access), but that's a great contribution you made with your post, so thank you very much!! I wish my rockwell account hadn't been deleted for not signing in for a year - I'd love to see that Note!