Rockwell Techconnect / Software Licensing Changes

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I recently had a conversation with our local RA distributor and learned a few surprising thing (to me)

Also, this is mentioned here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=127426

The biggest takeaway for me is this:

Newly acquired software will no longer be covered under your existing TechConnect.

Instead, one can either buy or subscribe to the software. The subscrption is fairly straight forward, just an annual fee while the purchase is more complicated. Instead of being covered under TechConnect, a purchased software will only come with 1st year support. After that, there's a per software charge for support, while it's less than the subscription fee, it's not a small amount either.

This really make my life harder as I help manage the many copies of RA software for our group and bunch of plants in our company. Some plant only breaks out their RA software once or twice a year and this will probably force them to integrate what is currently run by AB PLC into the bigger DCS system they have.

I have expressed my strong opinion on this change to them and remind them that RA shouldn't try to be a "software" company, they should be a control system company and if they want to be something else. I will have to evaluate our path forward as well.

The world of software is heading that way to increase revenue. Since we never really owned the software they can do this.
Initially it wall be comparable in price... until the purchase price is made outrageous (like buying a PLC-5) by comparison, or more likely, not available at all *and then* subscriptions will begin go up by 10-20% per year forever.

The huge issue as Ken pointed out in another thread is that TechConnect isn't "just" a software support contract. Oh, I forgot to mention, they also just took out VFD support form TechConnect. That was one of the only reason we specify AB VFD and now there's no reason for that anymore.

So, say if you have a AB VFD having problem talking to a 5380 and there's no TechConnect but there's only support active on Studio 5000, then what? Will AB help you troubleshoot like they done many time before?

To me, it's just stupid idea from some newly minted MBA. You have to know your customer base.

The huge issue as Ken pointed out in another thread is that TechConnect isn't "just" a software support contract. Oh, I forgot to mention, they also just took out VFD support form TechConnect. That was one of the only reason we specify AB VFD and now there's no reason for that anymore.

So, say if you have a AB VFD having problem talking to a 5380 and there's no TechConnect but there's only support active on Studio 5000, then what? Will AB help you troubleshoot like they done many time before?

To me, it's just stupid idea from some newly minted MBA. You have to know your customer base.

Customer Base? I think you misunderstand our position.. more like Captives.

I cut my teeth with Rockwell and AB. Thought they were the best thing on the planet.

Until I realized they weren't.

I work for a small company with a limited budget. Rockwell does not shine here. Between their very expensive tech support and very expensive software and very expensive equipment, I've decided to move what I can to other platforms.
I just cannot justify the cost when there are other companies that will give free support, free software, and product that is good enough for what we are doing.
If we were on the cutting edge of technology, I'd reconsider.

I made that decision around 8-10 years ago and have zero regrets.

Maybe I'm bitter because I just renewed our techconnect contract. And, I don't feel I've received a tenth of service for what I payed... Sorry

Yes there is. Engage.rockwellautomation.com

I was part of the group to comment on its design and function during a development state while the old (and just fine) one was being depreciated.

While we were able (with much debate and vigor) to get rid of the social media feeds on the borders and also to shrink the size of the useless graphics making it look more like a forum than an advertisement they made it perform...OK. Rockwell being Rockwell can't build a user-centric quality website to save their lives. They insisted on keeping the term 'community' AND 'forum' and use them interchangeably leading to navigation confusion...

One of my suggestions was that they needed a rockwell support employee on staff to answer forum questions, and it seems they took that one seriously.

It could be better, but its there. I have better luck here though.

The other side of Tech Support

I'm normally not a defender of Rockwell - and I'm not sure how what they are doing will be workable - and hell will freeze over before I get trapped in the economic quicksand of Tech Connect.

Yet there is something to be said for the position that the manufacturers have gotten into with respect to tech support. We've had several very long tech support calls from our field people that were unfortunate. Stuff like 'the drive doesn't run' when the run contact is not closed. Really elementary stuff.

Sometimes tech support has to assume the role of being basic educators. You can't replace a 2-year electronics degree or a good apprenticeship program while on the phone with brand X tech support.

Rockwell and the others can't say 'don't call us unless you have a clue' so they have to do something else. Spiraling costs and restrictive rules may be the only choice they have.

I'm pointing out the problem but I don't have the answer. This may be a case where the integration industry needs to say 'We have met the enemy and he is us'.

We've had several very long tech support calls from our field people that were unfortunate. Stuff like 'the drive doesn't run' when the run contact is not closed. Really elementary stuff.

Sometimes tech support has to assume the role of being basic educators. You can't replace a 2-year electronics degree or a good apprenticeship program while on the phone with brand X tech support.
'our field people'. You mean your own employes ?
Well if your company sends noobs into the field and let tech support try to guide them remotely, then it is a management decision.

Or is it the customers that are noobs ?
Well, that I can relate to. But then you need to have reasonably good documentation, incl. some FAQs and 'getting started' guides. Refer the noobs to these and you are done. Just say that you cannot help any further but you will gladly quote a service visit at a discounted rate.

You see BMW was planning a subscription to use the cars features you already paid for?
Want to use the heated seats you bought sign up per year for it.
Want to use your phone to open the door, sign up for that.

Rockwell last week took away Auto tune in Studio 5000 v33
It is now a $713 adder 1 use license