RSLinx With Windows 10 Home

jbilby62

Recently, I tried connecting to an Allen Bradley Compactlogix PLC (trying both USB and ethernet using a USB to Ethernet converter) that I am working on for my college senior project with no luck of being able to connect.

The first problem that I think may be causing my issue is that we do not get a license to actually download Studio 5000 or RsLinx. Instead we access the software via a virtual network. We have to be connected directly to my schools wifi or use a VPN when off the schools wifi. The reasoning behind not wanting to put the PLC on the schools network is because this automated cell will be traveling to other schools to use as a learning tool to teach high school students about automation.

My laptop is also using the Windows 10 Home operating system. From what I have found, RsLinx only works good with Windows 10 Pro.

Is there any possible fix for my problem that will allow me to use my laptop and not put the PLC on the schools network?

Thank you!

You should avoid using Win10 Home but having said that, it's not clear what connection problem you are having. Really, it's your instructor who should figure out how exactly the students going to use the available resource and provides instructions and without knowing a lot about the intents, we can't really help.

Right of the start, if you don't have a local licensed copy of RSLogix, you can't program it or using a copy off a VDI unless you also have a licensed copy of RSLinx Gateway. It might work if your instructor allows you to install a copy of RSLogix on your home PC then borrow license off your school's network. Anyway, I can write 5 pages of possible way of making it work somehow but you really need to talk with the instructor.