Foxboro FBM 233 Modbus Port

CanSpellPLC

Hello everyone!

I've got a question for the Foxboro gurus out here. Does anyone know if its possible to change the TCP/IP port for Modbus RTU communication on an FBM 233?

For reference, the 233's use the standard TCP/IP port 502 for Modbus communication, but we have a device that requires the secure protocol over port 1502.

I skim read a proposal for a secure version of the Modbus protocol some years ago, but have seen very little reference to it since. I wasn't even sure if it was adopted or not. To be honest, I don't recall much of that skim read.

So I'm speculating that just having a port at1502 is not likely to fulfill the requirements for secure Modbus - there's likely to be additional handshaking acknowledgements that precede actual communications. So if a device is not firmware equipped to support a secure Modbus protocol, the presence of a port at 1502 is not likely, in and of itself, to support a secure protocol.

I skim read a proposal for a secure version of the Modbus protocol some years ago, but have seen very little reference to it since. I wasn't even sure if it was adopted or not. To be honest, I don't recall much of that skim read.

So I'm speculating that just having a port at1502 is not likely to fulfill the requirements for secure Modbus - there's likely to be additional handshaking acknowledgements that precede actual communications. So if a device is not firmware equipped to support a secure Modbus protocol, the presence of a port at 1502 is not likely, in and of itself, to support a secure protocol.
@danw

d'oh...
that's a really good point, and should have been obvious on my side. I'll need to see if Foxboro even has the ability to perform handshake/authentication requirements on their side before I even consider trying to change the port number.

thank you so much!