RSLogix Micro Starter on 2 computers

mikeexplorer

Supporting Member
I am using RSlogix Micro Starter for a personal project and currently have it installed on a desktop computer. Soon I will be moving my project and will need to install it on a laptop.

Once I do this, the desktop copy is no longer needed. Do I have to purchases another copy or can I just move it? There would never be a case where both would be in use at the same time.

Mike

What is the PLC you are communicating to ? they have a free version for the 1000 and 1100's

But you should be able to move the key from one PC to the other, but this also depends on how old of a version/key you have

RSLogix Micro is licensed as node locked, and you are limited to re-hosting it a couple of times per year (4 or 5 max).

I seem to recall inquiring about putting it on a license server and was told that isn't allowed (our customer was using the Developer edition). In our case, it was not a big deal, so we moved the license to their maintenance laptop permanently.

If you require the starter edition (not Starter Lite), and plan to use it on both machines, I think you'll need to buy a 2nd copy.

What is the PLC you are communicating to ? they have a free version for the 1000 and 1100's

But you should be able to move the key from one PC to the other, but this also depends on how old of a version/key you have

Micrologix 1400 so I am using a copy of RSlogix Micro Starter which was not free.

Right, but to do that (legitimately) requires rehosting.

https://activate.rockwellautomation.com/ActivationHelp/343781.htm

And the latest info in that link says that you can do it 3 times per year with the automated process.

If that is the case, it would work for me. Right now my copy is on a desktop as I have been developing my model train project on the floor of a spare room. I plan to transfer the project to my around the ceiling layout in my living room so I would need to move my copy of RSLogix Micro Starter to a laptop. I would only need to do this once and I would still only have one active copy of the software (The desktop would not need it anymore)

Mike