AB - editing tag properties.

cimo

hello all

I need to resolve an i/o conflict. can anyone advise on easiest approach?

Got program tag with the wrong input alias assignment.
- long established program running pretty error free.
- A-B PLC & Studio5000.
- current input is coming from a Festo module - tag alias is F1U3.6.
- I want to change the tag alias to F2U3.6.

can I do this via online editing, or do I need to edit & download?

thanks in advance
cimo

What I would do is rename the existing tag from "MyTag" to "_MyTag". Then create a new tag with the original name "MyTag", then replace the old tag everywhere it is used in the program. When you're done, delete the old one "_MyTag". You can do all of that online.

What you can't do, as you've discovered, is change an alias. You can create new tags and alias online.

To my knowledge you cannot directly change an alias via an online edit (one reason I prefer using mapped I/O).

If taking the machine offline to do a download is an issue you can potentially work around it by creating a new tag with the desired alias, changing all uses to the new tag, and (if desired) deleting the old tag and renaming the new one to the name of the original.

I'm probably too late in replying, but I wanted to clarify a point....

If you are trying to change the tag name in the "Name" column, then yes you can change the name online while running. It will automatically update all references in the controller. What you cannot do is change the "Alias For" tag name. If the field is grayed out, then you cannot change it.

Now, you specified FU13.6 in your post which would be an element (bit #6) of FU13. You could not change the name of just that one tag. You would have to change the entire object name.

In the graphic below I created FU13 and made it an alias to Local:3:I.Data. You see I can change the top most tag name field, but none of the other fields. If you wanted to keep the tag name and instead change the Alias For field, you would need to follow the suggestions of the previous posters.

OG

Alias.JPG

Thanks og.
Keeping the bool program tag name ultimately (not an element) & changing its currently assigned input alias (from f1U3.6 to f2U3.6). Haven't done it yet, but it's all making sense at the moment..........

Don’t forget, if that tag is being referenced by an external source (HMI etc) you won’t be able to change it either.
You will have to take HMI/IOServer offline.