Coplanar vs Inline Pressure Transmitter

moeen

Hi Gents

I am trying to understand what is the difference between a coplanar and an inline pressure transmitter? I have to choose one of the two from the Rosemount 3015 Series.

This question is only limited to Gage pressure transmitters. Please ignore differential or absolute transmitters.

My understanding is that inline has only one inlet (no outlet) and sits away from the main flow of the process. But coplanar has an inlet and outlet and sits in the middle of the main flow of the process.

Please share your thoughts. Why would one select one over the other?

Thank you in advance.

Industrial gauge pressure transmitters are one of two styles:
a) dual head, like a DP, but with a blind head on one side with the 'blind' side internally vented to atmosphere, for a gauge pressure measurement.

(not a Rosemount, but it is functionally a dual head gauge pressure transmitter)

30cygdz.jpg

This dual head style could use a 2 valve flange mounted manifold valve:
AG M4TP

ygrpy.jpg

b) in-line style, with the process port on the bottom, like bottom connected pressure gauges.
inzo5g.jpg

The in-line style is typically piped with a block and bleed valve:

1zh2kk7.jpg

It looks like this when close coupled: 3051T with block and bleed
35j9pom.jpg

c) Rosemount's coplanar is the one on the top and right, its in-line model is below and on the left.
2ppy4o6.jpg

The coplanar uses a coplanar manifold valve, unlike all other manifold valves which had been standardized prior to the CoPlanar design.

You can see from the generic diagram below that the coplanar design manifold has a drain/vent (bleed) plug on the manifold (two for DP). That function is accomplished with the block and bleed valve for an in-line style.
e0q247.jpg