Panel View 550 DH485 with Printer Port

Bill@PSI

I have an Allen Bradley Panelview 550. It was originally bought with RS232 DF1 communication and a printer port. I changed the firmwre to use as DH485 comm but the printer port is now being used for the DH485 communication. It will not communicate through the original 232 communication port. How do I or can I still print from this panelview?
The part # is 2711-T5A16L1 but with the firmware change it's actually a 2711-T5A9L1

Last edited:
from the AB website

¬ Terminals with DH-485 communications require application file uploads/downloads through the communication port. The RS-232 printer port on these terminals is for printing only.

I don't know how this applies to a unit that has had its firmware changed; should work.

Panelview 550 DH485 with Printer

Thanks for the reply but the panelview has 2 DB9 connectors. 1 designated for the printer and 1 for the DF1/DH485 communications. For some reason when I downloaded the new firmware (through the printer DB9 RS232)I can only get communication to the other nodes on the DH485 when I'm plugged into the printer DB9 RS232, and I can't communicate through the DB9 RS232 communication port. I know it sounds strange but has anyone ever experienced this before?

Go into your Panelbuilder program and go to Application Settings, Terminal Setup. At the bottom under auxillary port usage is it set to download or printer?

Panelview 550 serial printing to a parrallel printer

Hi, The auxillary port is configured for printing. The next task at hand is printing from the serial port of the Panelview to a parrallel printer. Is this possible or do I have to buy a serial printer? I'm researching an initialization string for a deskjet. If anyone has experience please help.

Thanks

When you convert a DF1 / Printer terminal to DH485 runtime firmware, the printer port becomes the DH485 port and the original comms port is disabled.

I can't explain the hardware involved, but that's the way it works. If you need the printing function you're going to have to get a terminal that was built to do that with the protocol you need.