SLC 5/03 Fault- Memory Module S:1/10

CollinRudy

Hello all, fairly new technician and first post on here but wanted some feedback and a better understanding of memory module and a fault I had on a SLC 5/03 yesterday.

So I got to the railyard and they couldn't fuel on one of the skids. Power had gone out the night before but they had a battery back-up to keep the PLC powered. Not sure how long power was out and if the battery back-up stayed on or ended up dying after a few hours.

I get into the panel and the PLC was flashing the fault light. So first tried cycling power, didn't work. Next I did the run-program-run key switch trick, still didn't work. So I got online with it and looked into the fault. The error description read "The required memory module is absent or S:1/10 or S:1/11 is not set as required by the program.".

I moved to the processor status data files S2- memory module folder. The S:1/10 Load Memory Module On Memory Error box was at 1. I set it back to 0 and the PLC would now go into run mode. I cycled power and still would was working. Skid is operational again, but I leave confused as to what this exactly means??? Any info helps, thanks everyone!

Hi Collin,

I don't have a lot of experience with using memory modules, but I did a little digging and it seems that your PLC was looking for a module while it did not have one. Based on what's written in the datasheet, what may have happened is that the power cycle caused another fault to trigger, the PLC program was set to look for a memory module after a fault, but failed to find one.

You solved the above by settings the S:1/10 bit to low which allows the PLC to "ignore" the module thus clearing the fault.

Did you need to replace the module or re-load the software? I've had instances where a power cycle would cause the PLC to lose the entire program.

Here's another thread which explains this functionality better: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=52233

Take care,
Vlad

Last edited: