RSView 32 vs. View SE/ME

Christian Dam

I have to start a new project, where I have to use Rockwell HMI software and a ControlLogix PLC.

I will like to have some help to deside if I should choose RS View 32 or SE or ME.

My configuration will be like this:
One PLC - ControlLogix
One HMI station - Stand alone
Ethernet communication between the PLC and HMI

We have just finished one project where we used RS View32, but I have heard that RS View 32 is about to be discontinued, so that is why I ask this.

Regards
Christian

Given a choice, and considering you have View32 already, on a stand-alone system, I'd go View32.

I **like** SE, but it's still got issues, especially related to using VBA with it, and I use SE here all the time, but primarily because we use the Server-Client architecture, having multiple HMI's per line.

For you, I'd say stick with View32.

The last word I heard about RSView32 is that Rockwell intends to continue selling and supporting it. Perhaps I missed something?

I thought they were slowly phasing it out in favor for the Factory Talk suite.

View 32 in your case. No need for the extra complexity of the distributed architecture. Even if they are *trying* to phase out View32, it's like MS pushing Vista on everyone - except our industry moves even slower and customers can be more stubborn.

Christian Dam said:
I have to start a new project, where I have to use Rockwell HMI software and a ControlLogix PLC.

I will like to have some help to deside if I should choose RS View 32 or SE or ME.

My configuration will be like this:
One PLC - ControlLogix
One HMI station - Stand alone
Ethernet communication between the PLC and HMI

We have just finished one project where we used RS View32, but I have heard that RS View 32 is about to be discontinued, so that is why I ask this.

Regards
Christian

RSView 32 is the best choice for you. I've done 3 SE projects and all were bedevilled with bugs and plenty of little setup aggravations, whereas the RSView 32 was relatively quick and painless (and even wound up looking the best).

bobwithdana said:
I would go with SE just because I dont like fooling around with a Tag Database.

You can browse tags directly with a ControlLogix, I believe.

My vote's still for View32, but remember that the system is specified to operate stand alone. View 32 is limited in scalability. Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think there's a migration path if the project does grow much bigger. In other words, you'd basically be best off starting the project from scratch if you later needed to go to a distributed system.

Hi,

RSView 32 is old, may get phased out in 5 to 8 years. Though it will be phased out being Rockwell Automation product, you will get support for it but may not get new activex for additonal features. (as development for it will be stopped) Its better to go for latest software.

As requirement is standalone, you may go for RSView SE Stand alone or RSView ME.

RSView ME has some functional limitations, does not support VBA, does not have more than 16 trends in single chart etc.

Identify the number of screens you are looking to build, no of tags it may take, functions that you want on each screen, data loging requirements, Recipe and all etc. Check if all feature are available as per your need. (if you are planning to use Recipe check for details of Recipe Pro of RSView ME in detail before making your decision).

If requirements fit in "FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station" go for it or go for "FactoryTalk View Site Edition Station stand alone".

You need to buy development environment "FactoryTalk View Studio for FactoryTalk Machine Edition" or "FactoryTalk View Studio".

Good Luck!

Thanks,
Makarand